Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, inspired by some of the recent discussions on threads that have gotten all tangled up (no pun intended on my part), tell me about funny puns, plays-on-words your children have come up with recently. Here are two from my son, who will be 6 next week.

First is a joke he made up.
Q: Where does the dog go when he is hungry?
A: The ruff-rigerator.
At the time he thought of this one, I was standing at the refrigerator, door open, and the dog was barking his head off in the background.

Second, at the diner last weekend, he placed his request with our server, "One order of the short stack Mandrakes." You need to know Harry Potter. The waitress was confused, but my 26 year old brother was in hysterics.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
A month or two ago, as I was buckling the kids into their carseats, I called Bella my "Bella Button," singing "Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-Button!" BeanBean giggled and sang, "Bella-Bella-Bella-Bella-SNAP!"
I laughed hysterically, but Mike didn't get it until I explained it to him.
:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
DD1's first pun was at about a year. She lifted up my shirt and yelled "Peek-a-boobie." Not too much later than that, she was chugging like a train to the potty chanting "Chugga-chugga-poo!-poo!" There's more, but one of her more recent inventions was "carnivore belt" for the belt at the cheapo sushi place near us.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees
Not too much later than that, she was chugging like a train to the potty chanting "Chugga-chugga-poo!-poo!"
This would be very similar to the ones my son likes best! And personaly, I think the potty-language ones are pretty funny, too. Here's a song from dd's Music Together CD, followed by ds's changed version, just created this morning on the way to camp:

The original
Where, oh where, oh where is Suzy
Where, oh where, oh where is Suzy
Where oh where oh where is Suzy
Way down yonder n the paw-paw patch

Come on kids, lets go find her
Come on kids, let's go find her
Come on kids, let's go find her
Way ddown yonder in the paw-paw patch

Changed to...

Where, oh where, oh where is poopie
Where, oh where, oh where is poopie
Where oh where oh where is poopie
Way down yonder in the toilet bowl

Come on kids, let's go flush it
Way down yonder in the toilet bowl

The lyrics themselves certainly don't indicate giftedness, but I think it's cool how he hears something once and can instantly change it...and the syllables match, the theme is consistent...Then again, I guess I am always changing song lyrics to keep the kids guessing, so that's where they learn it at my house.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by teachma
The lyrics themselves certainly don't indicate giftedness, but I think it's cool how he hears something once and can instantly change it...and the syllables match, the theme is consistent...Then again, I guess I am always changing song lyrics to keep the kids guessing, so that's where they learn it at my house.
I do this, too, and nothing is more adorable than hearing BeanBean change the words of songs to be about BeanBeans, BooBahs, and Bellas.
It's super cute!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
So, here's a funny one: DH and I were talking about Snakes on a Plane (the movie) in front of DS. He thought about it for a second and said, "Snakes... on choo-choo?" and I said, "Snakes on a Train?" and he laughed and laughed. Now, every time someone mentions the movie, he breaks out the snakes-on-a-choo-choo joke. (I'm pretty sure his intention was to make me rhyme it, he's been playing with rhyming sounds lately and he was so enthralled with his little joke.)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
DD likes to listen to our tapes of bird calls. (Yes, we are geeks.) The tapes play the song, and then state the name of the bird. There is one called the "Mourning Warbler." DD immediately asked, with a gleam in her eye, "What about the BEDTIME warbler?" Actually, she likes to make up names of birds quite a bit, some of which sound very plausible....the green-headed vireo (there IS a blue-headed vireo), and the Blueburnian warbler (there IS a Blackburnian warbler).

She also changes the words to songs all the time. However, WE are not allowed to do that anymore. Goofball.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loraxc
She also changes the words to songs all the time. However, WE are not allowed to do that anymore. Goofball.
\

We're only allowed to do it for BeanBean and Bella; BooBah gets very upset and says, "Don't sing that song, mamma, that's wude."

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, our children are the way they are because WE are the way we are. Nature/nurture back again? I hope that one day I do convince dh to adopt (which is what I want for #3 sometime far in the future...) to see how it all plays out. I mean, theoretically, I would parent in a very similar style. But the genetics would be totally different.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
DD1 was 14mos and we were in the car on a cold December day. DH glanced over at me and said, "Uh-oh, Mama's titty-tats are cold."
(Titty-tat was her current word for cat.) DD instantly pipes up, "And her doggies?" and just busts up laughing.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The other day another mama was talking to my DD about her own 2-year-old daughter. She asked DD, "And are you 2, too?" My DD said, "Yes, I'm 2. AND, I have a tutu! On my leg!" (which she didn't). Then she giggled.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Last Friday, BeanBean discovered berries on a big bush in a neighbor's yard. "Look, mamma, berries!" Then he started laughing, and said, "It's a barberrian tree! See, here's a barberrian!"
:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My DH and DD LOVE to change the words to songs to entertain each other. Her are 3 of my current faves:

DD was singing the Oscar Meyer theme song. We are vegetarian, and DH thought it a little odd for her to sing the hot dog song. And so was born (after watching Madagascar...)

Oh I wish I was an animated Lemur
That is what I'd truly love to be
for if I was an animated lemur
everyone would move along with me.. (I like to move it, move it, I like to move it move it ect...)

Or how about this one sung to Twinkle Twinkle use to potty train her last year. It still works to get her on the potty:

Tinkle Tinkle in the pot, Anna has to go a lot
Potty time is so much fun, tinkle tinkle little bun
Tinkle tinkle in the pot, Anna has to go a lot

Possibly the funniest EVER to the tune of "I had a little Monkey, his name was Tiny Tim" Sung about her bath toy Turtle Barney

I had a little Turtle, his name was Turtle Barney
He gathered up his turtle friends into and trained them to an army
They marched down to the lake, and up to the hollow log
They defended all their forest friends from
a hoard of angry frogs!

Now granted, it is DH who instigates it, but DD will provide rhymes and ideas and then make DH repeat them to her until she can remember them better than he does. Just picture the look on the daycare providers face when she starts singing one of these spontaneously! Believe me I always hear when she does. lol!

I had a

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yesterday, ds was explaining to me and dd about his art class at school. Dd (almost 2.5 years old) asked, "What is the name of your art teacher?" Ds replied, "Mrs. Arena." Dd immediately fired back, "Nooo, you mean Mrs.
Ball-arena [ballerina]." Dd asserted, "No, it's Mrs. Arena." To that, dd said, "Nooo, it's Mrs. Mozz-arena cheese!" I love to see how quickly she's thinking these days. It just amazes me that my two children, so different in nature and personality, possess the same gifts and strengths.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.