Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 21 months old. He is intact and wears cloth diapers. I noticed a few days ago the tip of his penis was a little red. I didn't think much of it. Yesterday I noticed a little wound just beside his pee hole so I just cleaned it with a wipe. Today after swimming (his first time in weeks) in a public pool it was pusy under the skin (I touched it and it is all under the skin surface).

What would cause this? And what do I do about it?

I am leary to take him to the doctor. We don't have a family doctor or pediatrician right now (due to negligence with our older DS on their parts - we essentially fired them) so we are stuck with an after-hours clinic. I am worried they will retract his foreskin - guess I need to locate that article I've seen floating around these message boards on that.

Any thoughts? Should I give it a few days? Maybe the chlorine in the pool will have helped it? I am worried it will get bad and require an urgent circumcision and I'd for that to happen.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My ds had this while wearing cd around 11 months, the tip of his penis swelled to the size of a marashino cherry, i think his diaper wasn't sanitized good enough, we let it air out and it went away, this sounds likes maybe the chlorine and water might have brought up the pus/problem, let him go diaper free and air out over the next day and see if there is improvement, also does it seem to cause him pain or discomfort?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
My DS had this happen to him, and I think it was because the glands were starting to detatch. I posted about it in the circumcision area.. maybe you would get some more answers there. But in his case, it went away after a couple days and didn't seem to cause a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Poor guy, I too would think that the "wound" next to the pee hole was the source of trouble. But it may not be the problem alone. When a yeast or bacterial infection or even an allergic reaction is going on, the forskin may weaken in that affected area. The likeliness of that weakened area tearing from normal day to day routines is probable. The best overall advice I have for you is to take him to a urologist for thorough evaluation, since their are so many ways this can occur; A urine analysis is key to diagnosis because it can irritate forskin if the urine is abormal even for short periods at a time. Some urine conditions make the penis and any areas that come in contact with the urine, prone or predisposed to, a yeast infection. Others can help a bacterial infection thrive their or burn and irritate that skin causing it to be raw and or blistered. Another possibility is that blood flow could have been interupted for a period of time causing the forskin to "break down". This is likely when the forskin becomes pinched in the waistband area and remains pinched their for a while. Probably not as likely with cloth diapers versus dis. I suppose you know that erections can and normally do occur in any age, and if that is happening he needs more room in his diaper so that he isn't getting trapped during any erections. The forskin will be pressed against anything that gets in the way during an erection and that can cause irritation too. If it turns out to be a yeast infection be sure that his hormonal levels are running normal since the inbalances can wellcome yeast infections. In the meantime keep his penis clean and no not use any new cleaning products that haven't been used before, the safest is non-chorinated water. If unsure of your tap water, avoid it for now and use distilled water or some you know is safe for making infant formula, put some in a sanitary sqirirt bottle and rinse his penis opening with the water after each of his urinations by sqirtting the forskin openining for about 5seconds. Don't use high pressure stream, just rinse gently. Some saline solution will be good for cleaning around the penis area and directly on the base of the penis.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Some interesting things to think about for the future I guess incase this happens again. Interestingly enough this problem started after 3 days in disposable diapers (I worked every day of the long weekend and DH hates using the cloth diapers). He's back in cloth now so hopefully this won't happen again (if that was the cause).
In the end we caved and took DS to the clinic because it was looking worse today (the whole tip was red and inflammed looking and he was pointing at his crotch a lot saying "pee" which he never does, so it must have been hurting him). The doctor took one look at it (while I held it) and said "yes, he has an infection". He prescribed an antibiotic cream to catch it before it gets bad and requires oral antibiotics or worse. So, no big deal in the end - guess I overreacted! Thanks everyone!
(I soooooo HATE doctors and we try to avoid them - can you tell?)

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerdylan View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Some interesting things to think about for the future I guess incase this happens again. Interestingly enough this problem started after 3 days in disposable diapers (I worked every day of the long weekend and DH hates using the cloth diapers). He's back in cloth now so hopefully this won't happen again (if that was the cause).
In the end we caved and took DS to the clinic because it was looking worse today (the whole tip was red and inflammed looking and he was pointing at his crotch a lot saying "pee" which he never does, so it must have been hurting him). The doctor took one look at it (while I held it) and said "yes, he has an infection". He prescribed an antibiotic cream to catch it before it gets bad and requires oral antibiotics or worse. So, no big deal in the end - guess I overreacted! Thanks everyone!
(I soooooo HATE doctors and we try to avoid them - can you tell?)
:Glad to hear the good news, I know it was infection but good to be treating that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.