Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had an U/S last week at 33 weeks because I was worried about low fluid again this time since with my last, it was very low and there was a big risk of the cord being pinched.
lo and behold.. it's happening again this time. I go in twice a week to check the fluid level and I've been put on full bedrest. I'm SO lucky that my mother came from states away to help with my almost 4 year old. But bedrest still SUCKS. Sure, I'm all happy to lay around all day doing nothing.. UNTIL someone tells me that I HAVE to. Then I get all cranky about it and start thinking of the bazillion things I need to do.

I talked to my doctor yesterday and asked him about the possibility of early induciton. He said it was a given unless by some micicle my fluid increased significantly. I'm 34 weeks today and he said we MUST get past 34 weeks and our goal is to not see any more decrease (I went from a 9.6 on monday to a 6.4 on thursday and that was WITH drinking more water than I though was possible and resting) and get ti 37 weeks. But, that if there is more decrease between 35 and 37 weeks, he'll either admit me to the hospital for bedrest and monitoring or go ahead and induce.

I was induced before and I"m not looking forward to it, but the risk of the cord being pinched is just too big a deal (life and death) to fuss about waiting to go into labor naturally. I loved loved loved my Bradley classes last pregnancy, but the one thing I took away with me is that sometimes, we can't be in control of everything and sometimes we aren't in the position to make the best decision. That things like inductions and c-sections ARE necesssary sometimes. That the end result is more important than how you get there.

So I'm letting go of my big ideas about a natural, uncomplicated labor and delivery and giving myself over to focusing on the fact that I'll be meeting my daughter (we did find that out too and I"m so excited!) nearly a month earlier. My original due date was Dec. 24. Maybe it's wrong of me, but I'm kind of glad she won't have a birthday that gets lost in the shuffle of other holiday festivities. (trying to find the positive here.. work with me).

Anyway. So, while I"m working on focusing on the positives, I also have to face the fact that SO much of what I needed and wanted to get done before the baby arrives just isn't going to get done. We just found out girl, so this baby has exactly ONE pink outfit. Everything else is blue, green, and yellow. No shopping for me. I didn't get a chance to make bedding for the moses basket I was given. I had plans to sew itty bitty nb clothing for this baby and that won't happen either. I didn't get my carpets shampooed, didn't get my hair cut like I wanted, and didn't get that "I'm a big sister" shirt for my oldest. But the BIGGEST thing we haven't done yet is choose a name. This baby will be here within the next three weeks and we don't have a name! Not even an inkling.

How do you choose a name when NOTHING seems to fit? Or when anything that appeals to you one day doesn't the next? Or when your spouse vetos EVERY name you toss his way? I'm very afraid we'll be taking home a baby with no name.

I'm done now

I feel better

amber

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hi-
Just wanted to wish you good luck with the bedrest. I am also 33 weeks and worried about low fluid, having been induced for low fluid with my first child. I don't know if this is possible for you since you are already on bedrest, but there are some studies that indicate submersing yourself in water (like a pool) can bring fluid levels back up. I wasn't able to try this last time, but hope I will be able to if I happen to have low fluid again. I figure any amount of extra fluid through submersion means less risk of the baby sitting on the cord.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sorry you're having a rough time now. But it sounds like you are keeping a fairly positive outlook, which is really important. Birth really is one of those things that is often beyond our control- at least partly- and sometimes we just have to roll with things.

You could order a big sister shirt online. They have some really cute ones. I was looking because I can't seem to find any I like in stores and even if I see one they don't make them small enough for dd.

Maybe you can have someone come in and shampoo the carpets for you?

As far as the name goes....it will come to you. Maybe not til after shes here but you'll get one. And it will be perfect!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Aww, I am sorry mama!! On the bright side at least they know and are watching to make sure baby girl is safe! Congrats on a little girl to be as well!!

I agree about the name, it will come and I am sure it will be lovely!!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I'm sorry things are so rough right now. It's really difficult to not be able to do everything that you want to do.

Wishing you Refill the Waterbag vibes and finding a name vibes!

Can you do some online shopping to perk you up? If you think your babe will be between 4-7 lbs... here is a nice site... http://www.preemie.com/get_dept_143.htm

·
Registered
887 Posts
I hope that you can enjoy your bedrest as much as possible! My son was born 8 weeks early and I had nothing at all...as I planned on saving that for the last month of pregnancy! ; ) In a way, it was nice that it happened that way as I could go out and buy stuff that seemed right for him vs just having stuff that I had bought before I met him.

We are still undecided on names too. Well..we have a choice but I think it is after a ton of compromises and not something that the first and middle is BOTH our dream name combination. I may push for the unnamed baby for a few days thing too. ; )

Hope that your fluid levels stay put or increase...but relax as much as you can in the mean time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Oh, good luck with the bedrest! I agree...it's lots of fun to spend the day in bed until you HAVE to...then it SUCKS!!!!

I found out yesterday that one baby's fluid levels are low. The normally very reaction-prone doctors didn't seem too concerned, so I'm not worried, but I've spent most of the day lying down and sending good vibes to the babies. I'm 35+ weeks now...36 would be great, but I'd love to make it to 38!

You have a great attitude about giving up control over the unexpected things. I'm totally sad about not being able to move the babies into a better position, and sad about not having the birth be an experience I share with the babies and my huband, or even the four of us and my mom....but I really need to get over that I guess.

Good luck with bedrest and fluid levels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.