Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm sort of new to babywearing and was hoping to get advice on a fairly basic question. I have a Beco Butterfly and my 3 month DC likes riding around in it, but doesn't really love getting in and out of it. I have only really used the Beco around the house and on walks, and I put DC in and out spread out on the bed. Now I'd like to graduate to using it on car trips, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I have a fairly small car, so not a lot of room to spread out, especially with the carseat taking up now half of the back seat. Should I just try to lay DC out on the seat while I try to squish myself onto the floor? Or should I put it on under her in the carseat before we leave the house? Or do you somehow do this vertically (I've only put DC in by laying out the Beco flat on a bed spread out). DC can be fussy getting in and out of it, so I'd like to minimize the trauma if possible.

TIA -- I am not very adept at this yet, but would love to use the carrier even more.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I love the Beco once it's on, but I do think it's one of the most awkward carriers to get on.

I'm assuming your LO can't sit yet. I didn't get my Beco till my dd was 11 months or so, so I don't know if this will work for you yet. I lay the Beco out on the car seat with one of the straps unbuckled, bottom toward the door, then put dd in it. Then I turn around and sit on the edge of the seat while I put the shoulder straps on. Then I stand up and buckle the waist strap and chest strap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I wonder if that will work for us in an infant car seat since it is pretty "bucket" shaped. Also, she is still in the Beco infant insert, which adds another layer of strapping and inserting of the baby. But I will definately try your technique, thanks!
Anyone else?

Also - interesting that you say that the Beco is hard to get into -- its the only carrier that I've ever owned so I just assumed they were all comparable. I wonder if its worth getting a second easier carrier for car outings. Is there one that someone would recommend for such trips? Of course, I'd rather not shell out the extra money if I don't have to, but if it would make life easier I might consider it.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by purple2008 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if that will work for us in an infant car seat since it is pretty "bucket" shaped. Also, she is still in the Beco infant insert, which adds another layer of strapping and inserting of the baby. But I will definately try your technique, thanks!
Anyone else?

Also - interesting that you say that the Beco is hard to get into -- its the only carrier that I've ever owned so I just assumed they were all comparable. I wonder if its worth getting a second easier carrier for car outings. Is there one that someone would recommend for such trips? Of course, I'd rather not shell out the extra money if I don't have to, but if it would make life easier I might consider it.
We just got a Beco to carry out toddler around in. And I agree, it is super comfy once it's on, but, oy! It's not a quick or simple process. If you want something just for car trips I would do a ring sling or an adjustable pouch. (I personally recommend Kangaroo Korner pouches.) Those are about as fast as it comes, just over your head and put the baby in. Try to see if you can find a used one on the FSOT at thebabywearer.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
We just got a Beco to carry out toddler around in. And I agree, it is super comfy once it's on, but, oy! It's not a quick or simple process. If you want something just for car trips I would do a ring sling or an adjustable pouch. (I personally recommend Kangaroo Korner pouches.) Those are about as fast as it comes, just over your head and put the baby in. Try to see if you can find a used one on the FSOT at thebabywearer.com
Thanks! I'd still love more tips on making the Beco car-trip friendly (I spent enough money on it after all!) but I may also consider getting a second car sling. The Kangaroo Korner pouch looks handy, but are pouches mostly for newborns? DC is 3 months and big for her age already, so I wonder if the one shoulder carry would be comfortable as she continues to get bigger?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Anyone else?

We still use the bucket too. I lay the beco out next to it. Or maybe you could use the front passenger seat if there's not room in your back seat.

If you want another carrier I'd suggest a ring sling. I still use mine for quick in and out errands and dd is nearly 20 lbs. Be careful though IME carriers are like chips, you can't get just one.

I got curious about how others put their becos on so I searched youtube and found this video. Maybe it will help. Good luck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can put dd in it while standing up and wearing the Beco now (since I've taken out the infant insert), but before that, I used to spread the carrier out on my upper legs while sitting in the car, and lay dd on top then. Fasten the buckles and do the rest like if you were just using a flat surface.

(edit: we only have a small car)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Thanks! I'd still love more tips on making the Beco car-trip friendly (I spent enough money on it after all!) but I may also consider getting a second car sling. The Kangaroo Korner pouch looks handy, but are pouches mostly for newborns? DC is 3 months and big for her age already, so I wonder if the one shoulder carry would be comfortable as she continues to get bigger?
Hmm, I think DD was about 6-7 months when the pouch became less comfortable. I really can't remember. DD was not a very big baby either, usually in the 50th percentile for weight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
I can put dd in it while standing up and wearing the Beco now (since I've taken out the infant insert), but before that, I used to spread the carrier out on my upper legs while sitting in the car, and lay dd on top then. Fasten the buckles and do the rest like if you were just using a flat surface.

(edit: we only have a small car)

I just tried putting it on my upper legs. I thought her head would be hanging off, but if I leaned back and pushed my hips forward, it worked. It needed a bit of adjusting when I stood up, but this seems to be the way to go until we grow out of the cumbersome infant insert.

After that, I think I'll try that youtube method, that seems a lot easier than all the fastening I do on the bed iwth the infant insert!

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I might try to find a cheap mei tai for the smaller months. Then you can tie it around your waist, snuggle your baby up, pull the carrier right up over them, no problem.

Short of that, why not take a blanket or towel or something waterproof if you need to spread the carrier out, that way you can do so on the ground whereever you are.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Why don't you try putting it on standing up?

1) Pre-clip the shoulder clip and put the carrier on like you're putting on a shirt

2) Go ahead and buckle the hip belt

3) Open up the safety harness part if it isn't already opened

4) I assume you're still using the infant insert -- you can either slide her in the top of it with it already buckled, or have that unbuckled and put her in, and then buckle each side while you're holding her with the other hand

5) Bring up the safety harness buckles one at a time while holding her with the other hand and then buckle those up

6) Adjust for comfort and away you go!

Practice at home once or twice, but once you've got it down you can take it on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.