Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I grew up in MA and went to school in Boston, so I'm pretty familiar with it - but at the time I didn't have any kids. I have a friend who is going to relocate with thier twins (about 1 yr old) to Boston for a year to work on a grant at one of the hospitals in the Longwood area. So they were thinking they'd find a place in Brookline so he can walk to work. They aren't moving out for a few months so I'm trying to give her as much info as I can.<br><br>
She's wondering about getting around the city - what do you city mamas do? I'm especially curious about anyone who lives out on the green line, since I imagine its hard to get a stroller onto. (If she just had one she could just backpack/sling him, but with two I'm not sure what to tell her).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I live right on the green line. I don't take the T nearly as often as I thought I would. Before I got pregnant I prefered to ride my bike everywhere. Now that I have a baby I tend to go to places I can walk to, or else I drive if I'm visiting people who don't live on the T. I do plan to take the T tomorrow to go to a movie with my daughter, and we'll probably be using it more often now that the weather is (supposedly) improving.<br><br>
Some random thoughts on the green line, Brookline, etc:<br><br>
Pretty much NOBODY on the green line would offer to give up their seat even when I was 9 months pregnant, or now that I'm slinging a baby.<br>
The B line takes forever to get anywhere, and they have these dumb newer trains that are difficult to get a stroller around in.<br>
The C and D lines aren't too bad, except at rush hours. The high school release is probably as bad as the regular commute.<br>
Sometimes when I ride the train with Cora I feel like we are doing something quite out of the ordinary.<br>
I NEVER see strollers on the train.<br><br>
The playgrounds in Brookline are remarkably nicer than the ones in neighboring Boston. MUCH nicer.<br><br>
Coolidge Corner in Brookline seems to be baby central this year. I see tons of strollers around there. I think they arrive on foot or by car. There are several baby-related stores right there, including a pretty cool new one. The theater has been doing some shows where parents can bring their babies.<br><br>
If I was going to be working in the Longwood area, I would definitely want to live in Brookline or Jamaica Plain. Both are pretty pricey though.<br><br>
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't live in Boston. But when I just had one I would use MBTA buses, the commuter rail, and the Blue line with an umbrella stroller. I would fold it up and just carry Julia. Now that I have two I find it a lot harder to use public transportation. The Green line is the worst and the least stroller friendly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya<br><br>
I take the Green line every couple of weeks and I haven't had any trouble. Except for college students (don't get me started), people have been great about helping me get the stroller on and off the trolley and even offer seats every so often (even now that I'm not pregnant!). I've taken all three lines and find that although the B is the slowest (and has the most students), the newer cars are the easiest to get on and off of with the stroller. The C is probably the friendliest (in terms of getting offered a seat and help witht he stroller) and the D is the most crowded in the AM.<br><br>
WARNING: most T station are NOT stroller accessible. Makes you feel very sympathetic to wheelchair-bound riders when you see how hard it is for someone with wheels to travel around Boston (and of course it's much easier with a stroller than a wheelchair). Check the mbta webiste for accesible stations (and even then the elevator might be out as it was at Park Street station a few weeks ago...)<br><br>
all that said, I still enjoy T'ing it with my little one - I'm a big fan of public transport - even when it is a pain<br><br>
Danielle

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I am an infrequent T rider, but a couple of a weeks ago I was heading to the airport with my two kids. I am sooo glad I put my 2 year old in the sling, because I had to stand from Woodland all the way in to the transfer. (about 45 minutes) I couldn't have held my 4 year old's hand, held the 2 year old, and kept myself upright! Of course, no one offered their seat. And it wasn't students, but Red Sox fans!<br><br>
No advice, just my last experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We used the T a lot, I actually love it, feel so free not haveing to drive around that city! I did not have twins, but still have 2 kids and would usually have Meadow in the Ergo Back Pack and Caleb in a stroller that folded up easily and was good to go. JP is much less expensive and I think has just as nice PG's!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I used to work in the longwood area. I would tell your friend to check out Jamaica Plain. The orange line is more stroller friendly and it runs more frequently. Plus her DH could take the orange line or the #39 bus. I know some people in Boston frown upon taking the bus, but the #39 is great and the T-pass for the bus is less expensive.<br><br>
The thing about the greenline, aside from not being stroller friendly, is that it splits into the B,C,D and E trains. The green line itself runs regularly, but it always seems to take forever when you're waiting for a specific lettered train. The trains split just after Coply, so in Brookline she would most certainly be depending on a specific letter. The parts of Brookline closest to Longwood are on the D line, and it runs every 15 mins, when it's running on schedule, but I swear I've waited for half an hour or more for a train.

·
Registered
931 Posts
<a href="http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/06/02/shrieks_squeaks_on_green_line_make_residents_weary/" target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...sidents_weary/</a><br>
Shrieks, squeaks on Green Line make residents weary<br><a href="http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=boston.com" target="_blank">http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=boston.com</a>

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are also direct buses to Longwood from Central Square Cambridge and via the CT2 which starts in Sullivan Square Sommerville goes through Union Sq sommerville and then through east Cambridge. I always think that the T is for tourists and college students and buses are for those of us in the know. I mean I could take the T to Longwood from Central Square if I had oh 45 minutes to an hour to waste or I can take the 47 bus that takes 15-20 minutes.<br><br>
The newer buses you can wheel a double stroller right on. I have done it. On the older buses drivers have to let you use the wheel chair lift in back if you request it. The one in a stroller, one in a backpack method also works pretty well.<br><br>
Well I'm usually on 4 city buses a day with the kids.<br>
And what the others said, the Green Line stinks. the D line of the green line is not quite so bad but not great.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am a student at Northeastern Law (green or orange line) and I commute with my 3 yo. I actually have given up on the stroller because too many of the elevators are essentially toilets. I've walked into ones with still warm pee in them. Not worth the trouble!! I vote orange line as well. Though I do love Brookline. It's a tough one!<br><br>
Leah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts