Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard are these to build? Do they "click" and stay together, or are they just stacked like blocks?<br><br>
My mom is willing to buy ds (4 yo) a marble run for the holidays and I don't know whether to suggest the more expensive Quadrilla, or if the plastic ones work just fine?<br><br>
anyone with experience on this?

·
Registered
248 Posts
We were just looking at the Quadrilla in the toy store. I'm pretty sure the blocks just stack, and don't click togther, as they are wood. The ones in the store were glued, and easy fory they boys to play with, but I think my guys are still to young to build the structure and run marbles without knocking everything down. Our preschool has the plastic one, where the pieces do click together. I prefer the looks of the wood, so we'll just wait until the boys are bigger (and I don't want marbles out around the baby).

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
We have a plastic version that I hate, but the kids love it. At 9 my dd can build it, but not super fancy. At 6-8 she could do it w/help. Before that she didn't have the patience. I'd wait for the wooden one if you possibly can (make going to the toy store a real special treat lol!).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My mom bought ds a plastic one about a year ago, and it was junk. Almost impossible to put together. She returned it. We're going to get ds Quadrilla this year, though.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
We have the Haba one and I think it is difficult for him to put together by himself. He is 5.5 and can do some basic ones but he really likes for me to put them together and then he uses them. But, then he knocks one and it all has to be re-done. I wish I had gotten the plastic ones.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My dd (~3.5 years old) has been playing with her plastic marble run set (Discovery Toys brand) for about a year. I am very happy with it. It is very easy for her to put them together by herself, and she builds very complicated systems with it. She is fascinated by it. For the first couple weeks or so, my husband had to help her with it because she didn't really understand it. But she caught on soon after. Keep in mind that I have never seen the wooden ones, but I am entirely satisfied with what I've got. I expect that it will keep my daughter entertained for years to come, and I know that it will entertain my husband for decades.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My mom bought ds a wood Quadrilla marble run about a year ago, and we have a plastic marble track too that we've had for a few years.<br><br>
The Quadrilla is hard to put together, especially for a kid. My 4 yo ds can't do it on his own. The wood pieces just balance on each other. If he puts pressure on it, it falls over and he gets very frustrated. Heck, i was playing with it a few days ago trying to get it to stay together on a smooth carpet surface and it kept tipping over and I finally gave up.<br><br>
Our plastic marble track is oh, so, cheap looking, but he loves it, he can do it himself (not always creating an efficient marble maze but he can build something out of it and run marbles down it, which is the most important thing).<br><br>
I'd have to say that given our experience with each, I'd choose a nice plastic marble run with good sturdy pieces (I'm not sure what brand mine is, we got it at a yard sale) that everyone can have fun with.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
My 3 year old loves marble runs but has trouble fitting together the pieces of the Discovery Toys one that we have. I asked my mom for the Amazing Marbles one or the Quadrilla one for Christmas this year because they stack instead.<br><br>
My now 7 year old absolutely loves the marble runs still. We make all kinds of wacky contraptions with them.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
DS, 7 3/4, is LOVING his the Quadrilla he got for Christmas. Between dh and me and grandparents, he got the Basic Set, Twist n' Rail, and the Expansion Set. It is a visually beautiful toy and really quite ingenious. I can see how it would be harder for a younger child to work with, but ds hasn't had trouble with it at all. We put a large piece of plywood on the carpet to play on. DS and dh played with Quadrilla for almost 5 hrs. straight on Christmas day, and it's gotten tons of play since. I think this one will get many years of use.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
DD is 4.5 and just got twist & rail quadrilla for christmas. I felt she was too young, but dh REALLY wanted to get it for her. I do like the wood pieces and it is very ingenious. DD can't make it "work" on her own, but she likes stacking the pieces and laying out the tracks and putting the marbles through after it is set up. DH has built a few of the examples in the instructions and that is boring for dd after a few minutes (so she said), since she is not really involved in the construction. When I build one of the examples, I ask her to hand me each piece and we identify them together in the booklet. I also have her stack them as best she can. I prefer to just play around with it and build my own inventions. DD is very into contraptions and I can see that she will be using quadrilla for years to come. It is a nice quality set (I really didn't want a plastic one). Our main problem is that we like to set it up on the dining room wood floor and leave it up, and two nights in a row, dh or I bumped into it in the dark making a big crash and mess of blocks and marbles everywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts