Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor told me that elemental formulas are not regulated so therefore they were unable to say which brand was the best. How do you determine quality? The main ingrediant seems to be corn syrup. This is nothing I would have historically fed my kid, but, of course, she's allergic to basically all food, so we don't have much choice. Taste will stop being an issue because I'm going to push for a tube. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Considering they are all very well studied and given to some very medically fragile children, you can rest assured they are quite high quality wise. It is not right to say they are made of "corn syrup" - First it's corn syrup solids, and second, they are broken down to an amino acid format.<br><br>
My daughter would be dead without elecare. I know she's not alone. We've had multiple rounds of nutritional testing, and she is always perfect with Elecare. Neocate is the same. A few are meant to be more supplemental, but in reality, it depends on method of delivery, taste preference, and tolerance. DD did not originally do well on Neocate, but does great of Elecare. Other kids do great on neocate and not elecare. Some tolerate elecare vanilla (far more tolerable flavor wise) or the Neocate Splash boxes, some don't.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your post, I found it reassurring. I just ordered elecare vanilla from ebay (also a great tip from this forum). I'll be getting samples from the doctor this week; she feels great when she drinks neocate, but it tastes so awful, every feeding is a struggle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We use neocate for my son but he's used neocate since he was very young so flavor isn't a concern for us. I don't know how old your child is, but neocate jr also comes in flavors, but I think it's designed for older children. I order neocate off ebay as well, and have used amazon in the past.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My ds is 13mos old and drinks Elecare alone. He is also (seemingly) allergic to all foods. He has been on Elecare since 2.5 mos so the taste isn't an issue here either.<br><br>
I have many of the same concerns you have with wondering about the quality of these formulas especially with the first ingredient being corn syrup solids. I was so cautious with what my other dc ate and it's very hard for me to just trust that this formula is meeting all his nutritional needs. But, despite my concerns, he is growing quite well on it. After really struggling to grow in his early months, he has just taken off. I do long for the day though that my ds would be able to eat food!

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I use Neocate, Jr in the chocolate flavor as a snack in between meals. It helped DD to put on some weight. While it's not something *I* would drink, my DD seems to like it just fine. We got ours from eBay. It was much more affordable to buy it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts