Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is thinking about a job at St John's, he really wants the job but our issue is finding a good place to live. He works long hours during the school year so we would want to be close enough to visit during the day every no and then. Neither of us have any idea where to begin. I have a 17mo dd and another due in June so we ned a family friendly area. Nither of us have ever lived in a "real" city before either so if anyone can give me any tips on daily life in the city with 2 babes it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Are you talking about St. John's University? If so, that part of Queens is not very city-like at all, it is more like the suburbs - mostly residential, one-family houses in the immediate area. There are some apartment building and co-ops in the Kew Garden Hills, Jamaica Hills and Fresh Meadows neighborhoods, which are nearby. Some of the private houses are divided (illegally) into apartments as well. Are you looking to rent or buy? Either way, housing is very expensive. There are small shops, ethnic groceries and small chain stores on the commercial streets, but most larger chain stores and supermarkets require a drive. There is a large park (Cunningham Park) near Saint John's where there are sometimes free concerts and activities, and there are several small playgrounds in the area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went to St Johns University so i am a little bit familiar with the area.
I would not consider the area urban at all and bellyb pretty much summed it up for you.
I do not know how family friendly the area is but it does not seem to be a progressive neighborhood (I could be wrong)
How much money are you planning to spend on rent?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you look at Craigslist.com -- there are tons of apartments available
I am sure you can find a decent space in that price range.
I am very familiar with Astoria/LIC Queens but this is not really close by St Johns. It is not too far if you have a car though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.