Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to crash this forum, but, as a friend to several same-sex parent families, I'm just sick over this. Amazon has decided to derank any book that it deems "gay." These books include classics like James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room and Mark Doty's Firebird, as well as nonfiction titles such as Gay Dads: A Celebration of Fatherhood, Families Like Mine: Children of Gay Parents Tell It Like It Is and Love Makes a Family: Portraits of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Parents and Their Families. What that does to/for these books is take them out of the best seller lists and lowers their visibility on the site. For information on how to express dismay for Amazon's decision to marginalize authors who are homosexuals, go here.

· Registered
249 Posts
This has been a fascinating day in the blogosphere re Amazon's insane "adult" only practices. The practices ranged from de-ranking books (mine among them), to hiding books so that they didn't come up on searches, to deleting reviews and summaries of books. From what I could tell the books had GLBTQI content or were feminist in nature. They ranged from Heather has two Mommies to History of Sexuality vI by Michel Foucault. Other books such as Ron Jeremy's autobiography remain ranked and reviewed. Granted, I think RJ is hysterical, but still.

A ton of authors and readers wrote letters and seemingly received some variation on the following:

"In consideration of our entire customer base, we exclude "adult"
material from appearing in some searches and best seller lists. Since these lists are generated using sales ranks, adult materials must also be excluded from that feature. Hence, if you have further questions, kindly write back to us.

Best regards,
Ashlyn D
Member Services"

According to newspaper reports Amazon was reporting a "glitch" in their filtering feature.

Now a hacker is claiming credit: http://community.livejournal.com/bru...y/3168992.html

Fascinating.

· Registered
168 Posts
They also deranked a sex guide for people with disabilities, and at least one suicide prevention book for teenagers. Nice. I give them a week, tops before they apologise and change things back to normal. People are *pissed.*

I also heard about the hacker claiming credit, but people who understand computers better than me have said that there is no way he could have done it with the code he gave. He's basically a troll who's trying to get attention.

· Registered
249 Posts
Here's the latest update from Gawker: http://gawker.com/5210142/why-it-mak...yline=true&s=x

It covers the Amazon response, the "hacker" and the hacker debunker. The Seattle PI is reporting that it was an employee in France who made a mistake.

On the upside Heather has two Mommies is back in the rankings though most of our "gay themed" books aren't...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.