Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should post this here, but since it will help my VBAC chances, I put it here

I had an u/s today, as they were concerned I had too much amniotic fluid (not the case)

Anyway at 27wks, DS is head down and he's between posterior and anterior, meaning his limbs are on my left and his spine is on my right. I know I should be doing my "spinning" to ensure he goes anterior. Which I'm doing, but I thought I remember my sister telling me that if a babe's spine is on the right, it's better than on the left? Because the babe will have an easier time staying anterior because of this?

Is this true? Unfortunately, I can't ask her
:

(hope this makes sense)

· Registered
663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty-mama View Post
Not sure if I should post this here, but since it will help my VBAC chances, I put it here

I had an u/s today, as they were concerned I had too much amniotic fluid (not the case)

Anyway at 27wks, DS is head down and he's between posterior and anterior, meaning his limbs are on my left and his spine is on my right. I know I should be doing my "spinning" to ensure he goes anterior. Which I'm doing, but I thought I remember my sister telling me that if a babe's spine is on the right, it's better than on the left? Because the babe will have an easier time staying anterior because of this?

Is this true? Unfortunately, I can't ask her
:

(hope this makes sense)

I really think we put way too much emphasis on the babies position before birth. If you are active I think your baby is going to get into the best position for your baby to be born. Babies move around a lot. During birth they move and rotate, they don't just shoot straight out. Your baby will naturally find the path of least resistance, which may not be the one the textbooks say to hope for. Just because it's best for most babies, doesn't mean it's best for your babies.

My only VBAC so far was mostly back labor, and he was born sunny-side-up. It can be done!

Kiley

· Registered
291 Posts
I haven't heard that the right side is better. I HAVE heard that it is better to be lying with the spine on the left. It says that on the spinningbabies.com website I think. Anyway, like the previous poster said, babies move during labor. The position at 27 weeks isn't as crucial as it will be in 8 weeks or so.

· Registered
847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty-mama View Post
...Anyway at 27wks, DS is head down and he's between posterior and anterior, meaning his limbs are on my left and his spine is on my right.
Your baby's position is ROL (right ociputo lateral) in case you want to talk about it with medical types.

Quote:
I know I should be doing my "spinning" to ensure he goes anterior. Which I'm doing,
Being at the end of your second trimester, your baby could change positions many times. Like other posters, I certainly wouldn't sweat about it now but, hey, if you like a sparkling kitchen floor you have an excuse to spend lots of time on your hands and knees. (I had a posterior baby and third trimester had kitchen and bathroom floors I could lick if I had the urge.
)

Quote:
but I thought I remember my sister telling me that if a babe's spine is on the right, it's better than on the left? Because the babe will have an easier time staying anterior because of this?
I know midwives who prefer babies be LOA over just anterior. The reasoning is, rather than coming straight down and out, babies tend to corkscrew down clockwise (unless of course the mom's on her back and you're looking up her crotch in which case it will seem the baby is rotating counter-clockwise.) If the baby starts out LOA they think the baby's head is more likely to be born anterior and the continued rotation will ease the shoulders passage.

The fact is while babies most often rotate clockwise, babies can come straight down, rotate counter-clockwise, change directions, and basically act like a toddler hyped up on sugar and artificial colors.

~BV

· Registered
291 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
Your baby's position is ROL (right ociputo lateral) in case you want to talk about it with medical types.

Being at the end of your second trimester, your baby could change positions many times. Like other posters, I certainly wouldn't sweat about it now but, hey, if you like a sparkling kitchen floor you have an excuse to spend lots of time on your hands and knees. (I had a posterior baby and third trimester had kitchen and bathroom floors I could lick if I had the urge.
)

I know midwives who prefer babies be LOA over just anterior. The reasoning is, rather than coming straight down and out, babies tend to corkscrew down clockwise (unless of course the mom's on her back and you're looking up her crotch in which case it will seem the baby is rotating counter-clockwise.) If the baby starts out LOA they think the baby's head is more likely to be born anterior and the continued rotation will ease the shoulders passage.

The fact is while babies most often rotate clockwise, babies can come straight down, rotate counter-clockwise, change directions, and basically act like a toddler hyped up on sugar and artificial colors.

~BV
Wow! What great information! I didn't know ANY of that. My baby is LOA so you just made me really happy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.