Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
<p>In the 3-6 year class or before?  In the 3-6 year class, they have both individual lessons and group lessons.</p>

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
<p>I answered on your other thread, as well, but I wanted to add that the students do their "works" independently or with a 1-2 partners.</p>

·
Registered
322 Posts
<p>Yes, even in the toddler classrooms children will chose work from the shelves and work independently or in small groups.  Obviously more so as they get closer to 3 than 18 months.</p>

·
Registered
85 Posts
<p>My dds both did individual projects related to continent studies if I am remembering correctly.   Not all in their classrooms of the same age did.  In early childhood, it was dependent on the child's desire and follow through.</p>

·
Registered
137 Posts
<p>As I understand, esp. in lower primary, 3-5, children tend to work in parallel (perhaps side by side) focusing on their own activities, and then once in elementary, tend to become more social.  To draw a loose analogy, you might see two 7 or 8 year olds whispering to each other on the playground, but 2 3-year olds are highly unlikely to be socializing or interacting very much beyond possibly sharing or competing for a toy, again, the object being the toy, not one another.</p>

·
Registered
159 Posts
<p>Hmmm....I see my 3 year old and his so-called "best friend" doing a lot together in their classroom.  The kids comingle alot and are very social, but it must not be distracting to the work effort.  Children are allowed to work alone, or with groups...but if they find that they want to talk to another student and chat, thats fine as long as they both continue to focus on the work and solve the problems together.  My 4-year old is drawn to the 5/6-year olds, so she loves seeing and talking to them on how they solve their lessons.  My 3 year old, on the other hand, is interested in what his sister is doing, as well as what the other 3 year olds are doing.  But, when he is working on something, the older kids will often stop by his mat and help him with his work.  He is not seeking them out as much as my DD, but thats just an "age" thing.  He does play WITH a few friends, but just as many he is playing in parallel...again just a normal developmental thing.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts