Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dont know the whole story but Ill start from teh beginning. MY freind had a baby in Jan and the little girl never did latch on well so she pumped and tryed to breastfeed for i think it was about six weeks she had a lc and my support but it just wasnt working then at about six weeks the baby just latched on (oh she had stopped pumping about a week before and was giving the baby formula) so she was trying to get her supply up and start EBF. Well the baby started getting a really bad rash 2 or 3 weeks later all over her body and her sister (not very supportive of AP) said that she thought the baby was lactose intolerant like a freind of hers baby so they bought soy formula and since the mom, my freind was sick she had her mom take the baby to the doctor well the docter said something about too much protien I guess and that she had to stop bf and switch to soy formula.I looked around on the web and i believe it was a cows milk protien alergy wich she could have dealt with.

Now i dont think im going to tell her this because i know she is upset about not nursing but i also believe that shes not going to want to go throug the process to start breastfeeding again so i dont want to stress her out even more. she has so much stress in her life right now shes on and off with the baby dad and so much else. so i guess do you think i should tell her about this.

and i heard soy formula isnt good at all but im not sure where i heard this so if you know anthing about it please let me know thanks!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Soy really has its down sides that's for sure, but it will do if she has nothing else. Encourage her to give goat's milk a try, find a recipe to add juice or sugar and a good vegetable oil to it. Some babies who can't tolerate cow milk protiens will be able to digest goat's, the protien chsins are smaller. A milk intolerance would be very unlikely and would have shown up in the PKU. She'd need to cut cow dairy out of her own diet to nurse (yogurt might be ok though, the culturing breaks it down some). Tell her about supplements and methods to get her milk supply back if she wants to try and get her baby nursing again, go read up on relactation on kellymom.com so you'll have the info if she wants to know. Fenugreek capsules can oftens be found in the herbal supplement aisle at the grocery or dept store.

I think the way to approach this is gather your research, tell her what you find out really briefly and what options she has, and follow up on it if she shows any interest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.