Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read online that this carseat goes up to 65 lbs and 52 inches with the 5-point harness, and 100 lbs and 57 inches booster. My ds is 4.5 years old, 43 lbs and 45 inches tall. We tried the booster at BRU and it only looked like he had 1-maybe 2 inches of grow room below the highest strap slot. Does he just have a super long torso or are the numbers wrong? I don't want to buy a new seat if he's just going to be back in a booster in a short preiod of time....

·
Registered
314 Posts
1-2 inches of torso hight can be anywhere from 6 months to 1.5 years maybe longer... many kids grow very slowly durring this time and some of the growth is in legs, ect. but another option is another seat that has higher harness slots that could then be passed down to your younger child like maybe a britax convertiable or the regent seat if thoes are to much $$$ then there is also the radian which we have a LOVE that my 4.5 year old is in and she's about 44inches tall but only 35lbs, just moved from a rfing scenera to the radian ffing. and when her sister outgrows the scenra rfing she will move tot he radian and my 4.5 year old will move to a belt possioning booster, many many options though... HTH

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
MANY kids will outgrow seats by height before weight...we are having the same problem right now...
My dd just turned TWO and is already at the top slots on the APEX.
*sigh*
If you want a harness, my understanding is that the only option is the Regent, costs twice as much as the apex, but has slots that are a couple inches higher. We're going to have to get one for dd, because no way in heck am i putting her in a booster at TWO!!!

But, like the pp said, you never know how much time 1.5-2 inches will buy you...many kids around 4 start growing a LOT more in their legs, and torso length might not change much a for a couple YEARS....or, it could be 6 months, youknow? It sound liek my dd has about the same torso height as your ds...about 1.5 inches below the top slots.....we thought about getting it, and then just resigning ourselves to using a booster whe she outgrows it...but for us, that could be as ealry as 3, and we're just not comfortable with it.....for your ds, who is already 4.5.....i would be more likely to chance it. evene if you only get 12 months out of it, your child will be 5.5, and i would be okay with a 5.5 year old in a booster....(whereas, as I've sated, my kid will only be 3 or so...)

How mature is your child? Does he meet the criteria for being able to fit well into a booster? Does he sit correctly and keep his seatbelt on using the booster?

WTH is wrong with carseat makers?
surely it wouldn't kill them to make a couple more carseat tall-torso-child friendly?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Make sure you were looking at the highest slots. You have to unlock the headrest and move it up to see the highest ones. They are behind the bottom of the headrest when it is lowered. I wouldn't be surprised that a 4.5 year old is on the highest ones, though. They do grow less torso at that age, so it could be a year or more before you had to go back to boostering. As the PP said, the Regent is really the only significantly taller seat out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts