Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My children, grandchildren, and I have never been vaxed.

I NEVER assumed that others were being vaccinated in my stead. I was always learning and had no opinion one way or the other. It was often confusing to me through my education and my life.

What was YOUR attitude toward anyone who refused to be vaccinated before you decided for whatever reason, not to vax yourself or your little ones?

I know what have heard in the past.

Be honest - tell me.

Reactions: Nemi27

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
I can't say I have ever condemned anyone for choosing not to vaccinate. My sister had a severe reaction to the first DPT shot and my mother who is certainly not a vaccine critic made the choice not to vaccinate her further. Aside from my mother, the other person I encountered that choose not to vaccinate their child at all was someone I admired, so it made me think that there must be some good reason not to and I should take note. It started me on my journey down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I was 24 when I had my youngest in 1996 (pre-internet era) and living in my own little bubble. Any sort of controversies around vaccines had not registered with me when I had my son.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
nak,

I was the first one I had ever heard of, because a) I din't realize refusing vaccines was something anyone else did (1997 was my first refusal-I was selec vaxing without realizing it was a real term), and b) I grew up mainstream and never heard anything but (summary) you give em' a bottle, and show up for shots, unless you are poor..then you miss them but only because you are an inferior parent

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I never thought about it until I was pregnant with my first and I heard about the birth vax of hep B. I knew what hep b was, I'm even vaxed against it, and was like wwwhhhaaaattttt???????

Before then, I would have thought anyone who didn't vax was just an idiot. Why have a doctor, if you're not going to listen to them? They went to medical school for years and years. They've studied these things. Surely they know what they're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
I grew up in a non-vaxing family, back in the 1950s. didn't really dig into the topic until the 1990s, but I did delay giving my daughter any vaccines until she was around 8 and then only gave her a few. I think it was a mistake, her health went down hill afterwards.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
back when i was vaxing my first son, our neighbor didn't vax her daughter...didn't bother me, but it did get me to thinking how prevalent are these diseases in this day and age...whenever the girl was sick, she was kept home, homeopathic remedies, and outside playing within a day or two. Unlike my son, who seemed to be ill all the time. Now at 28yrs old, he's still prone to illness easily...my other nonvaxed three kids are much healthier with no chronic issues, unlike my eldest.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
back when i was vaxing my first son, our neighbor didn't vax her daughter...didn't bother me, but it did get me to thinking how prevalent are these diseases in this day and age...whenever the girl was sick, she was kept home, homeopathic remedies, and outside playing within a day or two. Unlike my son, who seemed to be ill all the time. Now at 28yrs old, he's still prone to illness easily...my other nonvaxed three kids are much healthier with no chronic issues, unlike my eldest.
These are the personal "anecdotal" testimonies of people that are worth far more than all the studies in the world, to me, personally.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I grew up very sheltered and mainstream... my parents followed whatever someone told them because they had trust in those who specialized in things (they even trust car salesmen or the e-mail saying they won 1,000,000 but need to send 10,000 to a far away place first) so you can see where I'm going with this.
Anyway, I was fully vaccinated as a child. The assumption was you were poor if not up to date. Fast forward to college- I refused the meningitis shot to live on campus because I didn't want another shot! They hurt but I thought nothing of the refusal- they gave me an option! All shots got updated for admission to the nursing program (not given an option)- as far as I knew, everyone was "up to date". I graduated (was told how scary diseases are but was NEVER informed there are options- see the trend here?).
When I found out about delayed vaccines (first I heard of changing the schedule), I thought "now why would anyone do that?" then I thought.. well, WHY?!?!
NOW that I know, I catch myself saying not so nice things about the other side.. but I can honestly say I never knew about this side for a good 26+ years...and never bashed anyone for it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
These are the personal "anecdotal" testimonies of people that are worth far more than all the studies in the world, to me, personally.
Me too.. I've been working with a vulnerable population for a long time and many have been vaccine injured. It is always interesting to see the medical records and speak with the parents of how it all went down.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Me too.. I've been working with a vulnerable population for a long time and many have been vaccine injured. It is always interesting to see the medical records and speak with the parents of how it all went down.
It must be pretty frustrating to have to deal with denial of vaccine injury year after year when you have a chronically ill child.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had no idea people didn't vaccinate before I had my son. It wasn't until he had a reaction that I became aware of the "anti-vaccine movement" when I started to research. I honestly thought everyone just got them.

I'm actually a little envious of people who vaccinate now. All I can think of is how lucky they are that their child isn't damaged, that they never had any reactions, that they have a 'normal' child while mine was 'broken' by vaccines.

I makes me mad that I got hit and they didn't. It makes me jealous that they can trust something while I can't. I live in fear that my kids will get Meningitis and die and I'll be the crazy mother that refused vaccines and everyone will crucify me. I'm just doing what I think it right, but I think the feelings I have make me quite a terrible person.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
I had no idea people didn't vaccinate before I had my son. It wasn't until he had a reaction that I became aware of the "anti-vaccine movement" when I started to research. I honestly thought everyone just got them.

I'm actually a little envious of people who vaccinate now. All I can think of is how lucky they are that their child isn't damaged, that they never had any reactions, that they have a 'normal' child while mine was 'broken' by vaccines.

I makes me mad that I got hit and they didn't. It makes me jealous that they can trust something while I can't. I live in fear that my kids will get Meningitis and die and I'll be the crazy mother that refused vaccines and everyone will crucify me. I'm just doing what I think it right, but I think the feelings I have make me quite a terrible person.
That is a very tough position to be in. To want to be able to vaccinate and to want to trust vaccines and you can't.

Perhaps you can find out more about meningitis? I don't think it is totally random and there are probably some other steps you can take to reduce the risks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That is a very tough position to be in. To want to be able to vaccinate and to want to trust vaccines and you can't.

Perhaps you can find out more about meningitis? I don't think it is totally random and there are probably some other steps you can take to reduce the risks.
Thanks for your post, Deborah. Every time our daughter gets a fever my husband and I worry about Meningitis. He had a friend die of it in elementary school so it's a big concern for him too. Next week we start her on a remedy Meningitis vaccine from our Homeopath so I'm hoping that will alleviate some of our fears. I often research the disease and the vaccine again and again so reassure myself that it's actually hard to come across, and in 2013 there were only 4 cases in the whole of British Columbia and only 1 death an an elderly person, so that makes me feel less afraid of it.

This board has helped me a lot actually. The posts I've read by you and others much smarter than me have shown me how to keep a level head and not be swayed by the photos of babies dying to measles or the black hands of a child affected by meningitis. You've taught me to read beyond sensationalist headlines and find the real information behind studies and "settled science".

You have all made me stronger and more determined to protect my kids the best I know how, so thank you all.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
The biggest failure of the pro-vaccine is failing to convince mothers who have seen reactions to vaccines that they are just imagining stuff.
I believe.

There are plenty of people of do not vaccinate or vaccinate very cautiously partly due to the many stories shared on the internet.

Thank you to those who have shared their stories. They are heard, they have impact and they matter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I didn't think you had a choice really. My mom is very do as they tell you. I remember when guardasil first came out the commercial came on and she told me, "your getting that" no research or thought that I didn't need it. I was 15, a virgin and wasn't planning on changing that, and she knew it. I never did end up getting it though, because she was also bad at getting us in for check ups. Lol My brother also told me we had the flu shot once, but I don't remember it.
When I was a nanny I took care of a little girl with special needs and her mother told me she wasn't vaxxing her because she was being extra careful with her. I remember thinking, good idea, but not too much more. I believe her older brother was though.
I didn't really think about it until I was pregnant until I thought about it. My sil told me to read the vaccine book (she delays). My other sil told me to not question the doctors, don't read into it, just do it. Honestly that comment changed me forever. I thought it was so wrong that I went the opposite, I now research EVERYTHING. My feeling is before I do anything that could alter or harm her I read as much as I can.
We planned on selectively vaccinating and delaying. When she was 3 mos my dh aunt told me to wait until she was 1 to get any vaxes and research. I later learned none of her kids or grandkids have been vaxxed and I remember thinking how are her kids not dead?? Lol it was that ingrained in me. I can now say my dd is 2.5 and hasn't had 1 vac. We don't plan on doing it at all, but if we do it would be after 5 yo and never with any Fetal cells.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts