Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the drug domperidone to help produce breast milk? We have a new adopted baby, and we've been using breast milk given to us by friends. Now I have just learned about this drug and want to know more about it. I've been doing internet research, but I'd love to talk to someone who has actually used it. I am very reluctant to take any kind of drug, but at the same time if I could produce some of the breast milk...?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Have you been using an SNS in the mean time? To get the baby to latch on? I haven't heard of many people having success with medication if they are only pumping and not eventually nursing. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but if you can use an SNS in the mean time to get the baby used to nursing that would help tremendously.

http://www.famsupport.com/special.htm
scroll down to Suplemental nursing system.

HTH
Heather

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Please do a google on adoptive bfing... you will be looking for 4friends or the adoptive breastfeeding resource something....

TONS of excellent information and support. The woman who I thought of as the "main momma" bf several adopted kids, some starting later than others.

Lact aid is the preferred supplementer, rather than SNS and I did not use domperidone and failed in my attempts to bf my adopted baby

·
Registered
62 Posts
Preparing to Nurse Our Baby

I abfed dd w/only a lact-aid and herbs. It was a very positive experience although it was only for four months and I don't think I produced much of a supply.

As you can see by my sig, ds is still nursing. This time I prepared by following Dr. Newman's protocol; which includes the use of Domperidone. I used Domperidone up until a few months ago. It was for more of a security blanket than truly necessary though. I am still producing bmilk, but since ds is older and taking solids a large supply is not a priority.

BTW, ds didn't latch until after a month of being home. Just would not; he had a couple of times when he first arrived at three days old. I was pumping what little supply I did have and supplementing w/formula. One day he was crying and would not stop, after trying everything I and DH could have thought about, I placed him to breast and we never used another bottle after that. DS still needing supplementing because my supply was not entirely in place, but we used the Lact-aid. After about 2-4 weeks we were no longer supplementing. It was a bit of an uneasy feeling at first, afterall I wanted to nurse him 100%, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be able to produce to mee all of his needs.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You might also go to the Yahoo group PumpMoms. These ladies have a ton of information, including all the herbal and prescription medications used to induce and boost supply.

Good luck!!!

Bec

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wow MamiD'2, you were able to get a full supply for your 2nd, after not getting there with the first. You give me hope that I may have a larger supply for our next child (if and when that happens).

I have nursed dd from birth, mostly using the Lact-Aid and using the SNS a few times. I took domperidone for about a year and it did increase my milk supply. I felt this was very important when dd was tiny and more susceptible to diseases that I have the immunity to. (we don't vax) Do go to the four friends adoptive breastfeeding site...tons of great help and experience. Dd is still nursing and I'm going to have to change my signature to the running by toddler nursing! We also still supplement, but now it's just a couple bags of goat's milk a day, instead of making 8 or so bags of homemade formula each day...now I dream about getting pregnant (not likely!) just because nursing would be so much less work. Still, I am so glad we have breastfed and even with all the work, we'll do it again if we choose to parent another child.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I didn't use dom. mainly because I'm just not comfortable with drugs in general. But I used fenugreek and if I did it regularly (which I didn't always) and drank tons of water (again forgot to quite a bit) I got a fair amount of bmilk. I've never been able to express any, but could tell by dd's diapers... That all said, now at age 3, she still loves to nurse - we still use the lact-aid, because she likes to get more milk than I produce - though if I ask her when she's nursing w/out the lact-aid if she's getting any milk, she tells me yes, and I do still feel some tingling (let-down)...I haven't used fennugreek in close to 2 years, so I guess somethings still going on!

Good luck with your bfeeding - it can be a challenge, but it's worth it!

A quick afterthought - if while you're supplementing with the Lact-Aid and waiting for more bmilk to come in, try and use organic formula - it's got better supplements in it than regular formula - and you don't have all the hormone/pesticide contaminants to worry about! Both Natures One and Horizon make organic formula.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi. I used domperidone, fenugreek, and blessed thistle with pumping to work up some supply before we got our referral for a newborn about seven months ago. I didn't have time to do the full Newman-Goldfarb protocols, which involves many months on high-progesterone birth control pills (active pills only) to simulate pregnancy and develop breast tissue. I did the pills plus pumping for two months, I think, and ended up with 2 ounces/day by placement.

I was not able to breastfeed for a variety of reasons, biggest of which is that I happened to get a baby with feeding problems (breastfeeding would have been a tough sell, possibly, even if I'd had a full supply). She gagged a lot, with both breast and bottle, and spat out the tube regularly. It was just too much for both of us. So I ended up sticking with a modest pumping routine and giving her bmilk via bottle. I thought if I stuck with it, she might come around to the breast eventually. She didn't. C'est la vie.

Seven months later I'll still pumping, in the evenings (I've got my manual expression technique down so well that I apparently can sustain my 2 ounces/day supply with just one pumping). It's not much, but it is enough to give her some immunological benefit. The most important thing to me is that she's happy and very healthy. She mostly eats Baby's Only organic dairy formula (http://www.naturesone.com), which I supplement with a DHA/ARA powder from the same company (again, see the Nature's One site). I get the supplement from http://www.organicbebe.com.

If you want to know more about domperidone and the Newman-Goldfarb protocols, see Lenore Goldfarb's Web site at http://www.asklenore.info/. I also highly recommend the four friends' site (http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw) -- that's the site I'd recommend for getting peer support.

There's good and not-quite-as-good info about this topic floating around, and rather than diss any particular source on a public thread, I'd be happy to talk to you personally. PM me if you're interested -- we could trade e-mails or even talk via phone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I didn't use dom and wish I would have. I tried to induce using nothing but pumping/nursing. LIke T.Elena, I had a child with major feeding problems (probable undiagnosed reflux, "fussy" at breast behavior (and I mean extreme--back arching, unlatching constantly, etc.), and extreme sensitivity to any distraction. Bf'ing would have given me a run for my money even under "normal" circumstances but with producing virtually no milk and using a supplementer things were pretty bleak. I think the risks of dom would have been worth it in our case.

I tried fenugreek later on (we worked through bf'ing for five months) but found that I am one of the few people who experience the side effect of lowered blood sugar--my vision got increasingly worse every day.

I was told by LLL and other adoptive nursing people that milk is not the object of the experience--it's the nursing relationship. I agree on one level, however I think in our situation more milk would have made things easier for ds, and would have allowed us to continue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hotmama you are my hero! Two years and counting using the supplementer??? That is awesome. We used it for four months w/dd and could have gone longer if I had made contact w/a lactation consultant then....aaaahhhh, hindsight!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Aw shucks...
I can't imagine it any other way. Of course, I have to be open to anything for the transition process for the next one. It was almost easy with dd, and I can only hope for a similar situation with our next child.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Others have given you the links. Check out the 4friends site and the Newman-Goldfarb protocal. I did the accelerated version of that protocal and had milk. We didn't succeed at bfing, but I did have milk and letdown and I think I could have had a lot more if I'd had more support and help. I had all the signs of producing a good supply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts