Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday the peanut (15 months) got into a bowl full of cashews at his great grandma's house. He was stuffing them in his mouth and having a great time, so I let him. He's had almonds before without issue, and we haven't tried him on peanuts but I was pretty confident that he didn't have a nut allergy. (Of course, because then I wouldn't have let him get close to those cashews, but whatever.) Anyway. Yesterday afternoon he started getting a nasty diaper rash- worse than he's ever had before. At first I thought it was a candida rash, and was interested but not concerned, except that it's not really candida season and my own candida is the same as usual. The rash got worse and worse, and when I changed before bed it looked pretty bad. All over his diaper area, red, almost bloody in one little spot, and clearly very painful. He's never been sensitive to the wipes before but he was screaming when I wiped him just now. SCREAMING, like it stung really bad. It looked like it stung to wipe him. It was also very sensitive to touch, but the diaper rash cream soothed it almost immediately.

He had chewed up cashew all over his mouth, but there's not contact rash there, just on the diaper area. He was also touching and playing with the cashews and the spat out pulverized cashew, but he doesn't have a rash on his hands. he probably ate the equivalent of 2-3 cashews. He's been eating and drinking as usual, so I don't think there's any internal rash.

I hate to think that I need to take him to the doctor again, for the fourth time in three weeks (my climber has been getting into some trouble lately....). He's going to hate doctors after this. I'm hoping the diaper rash cream will work it's magic and this will all be another close call. Of course, we won't let him near cashews (or pistachios, it turns out) for a loooong while, but please, please let it not be a nut allergy.

This morning he still had no other symptoms, but his diaper rash was still pretty bad. The rash around his anus looked better, although it's always hard to tell after a night of diaper cream. his poor scrotum though- that had gotten worse. instead of one little bloody spot, he now has several. It's less sensitive than it was last night, but it's still pretty bad. We switched over to cloth wipes with water to try to avoid the stinging and that seems to help with diaper changes. I'm still fairly convinced that it was the cashews, sweets thinks it was oranges because the peanut ate a lot of oranges yesterday. Our plan is to lay off all nuts for awhile, and go easy on the oranges. I don't want to do a challenge with nuts, But I may do a challenge with oranges just to rule that out.

So my question: For those of you with nut-allergy kids, what did it look like the first time it showed up? What did you do about it? Does this sound like a nut allergy or something else?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Our experience may be in the minority, but I'll share it anyway. My son's allergic to cashews, but they just cause a rash around his mouth, about a half day later. Nothing else. It took me forever to twig to the fact that the rashes he was getting were maybe food allergies, and then to journal and figure it out. While I was journalling and figuring it out, I saw fainter rashes from almonds that I think were cross-contamination, because some almonds caused the rash but most didn't. My son gets the same rash from chocolate. We don't have any IgE allergies, our only allergies are gluten, dairy, cashews and chocolate.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Was he more restless last night to settle and to sleep? Ds is more restless with a lot of salicylates, which oranges are high in salicylates.

Initial exposure to nuts could cause an inflammatory response in the GI tract. But it is odd that he didn't have oral irritation, since this is a second exposure to tree nuts.

I would think that topical exposure may cause a reaction, now, since the GI reaction was so significant. I would be concerned about continued almond exposure. Many nuts are high in pesticides also, which could be another variable. What you ate, assuming you're still nursing, could be additional culprits.

Personally, I'm a no nuts until after age 2 advocate.

With the anus looking better, but the scrotum not, I'd think it was more yeasty. Is it raw or sandpaper rash?

I'd add CLO, CO, magnesium, probiotics, and vit C to your diets for gut healing.

Pat

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we're definitely laying off the nuts for him for awhile. Or forever, whatever it takes. We hadn't planned on giving him nuts, but there it is. And as for the cashews- I'm afraid that was one of the less hazardous things my grandma has on her coffee table, so it was a matter of exhaustion at that point.

He settled really quickly last night, actually. He didn't even want to nurse to sleep. He only nurses in the early morning and just before bed usually, and he usually has a few sips and then asks for water. He was the same last night.

The rash started looking like a candida rash- lots of little red pinpoints in his groin, with a general redness on his scrotum and anus. Eventually the skin on his scrotum started to look fiery red and fairly friable. That's how it looked this morning. he has been at daycare all day, will check and see what progress we've made today when he gets home. I'm not sure what you mean by raw or sandpaper, but if pressed, I guess i'd say it looks like he was scraped with some sandpaper on his scrotum.

Thanks for your comments! Keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:
lots of little red pinpoints in his groin
Sounds like yeast, to me. Yes, yeast can get raw looking; but allergies seem to start raw-more generalized, without the little red pinpoints, ime.

Breast milk is the most important immune support for yeast. Could you pump and send some in a cup for him? The bifidum bacteria in breastmilk is really important to gut health. We quit nursing at age 2, and ds was so ill for a long time soon after.

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.