Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't been a co-sleeping family. Our oldest has, in the past, been a wonderful sleeper, but she's always slept better by herself. When we tried to bring her in bed with us, she would play and kick and basically stay awake all night.

She recently turned 2, and in the last week, she's started waking up at night, crying "want mommy'. So I go get her, and she sleeps with us. That's what she wants, asking for 'mommy's bed'. Which is fine with us. DH is actually the one who went and got her the first time and brought her in, so he is okay with it.

I'm not sure why, at 2, she would suddenly want to sleep with us, but regardless, that's what's happening.

My question though is this:

Do they go to bed by themselves? We have a king-sized bed with a night stand on both sides, and I'm scared to death she's going to fall off if we leave her up there alone. Our bedrooms are all upstairs, so I don't really want to put her in our bed to go to sleep. Up until now, we took her up and put her in her bed, she'd roll over and go right to sleep. I don't know if she'd do that in our bed.

Or do you just always go to bed when they do? I'm confused.....can you tell?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
as always its different for every family and you'll have to figure out whats best for you.

My dd is 4 and starts out in her own bed which is a full size mattress on the floor right now in her own room. When she wakes she's old enough to just climb up into our bed with us when she wants to join us.

My ds is 11mos and we're starting the same thing with him now. He starts out on the mattress on the floor and then when he wakes dh brings him in to me if he can't get him back to sleep

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
The twins have only rolled off the bed once, and that was their toddler beds when 18 months. Noah has rolled off it about 5 times, but those were all when sick so we know now to put him between us when sick.

Our twins started family bed/cosleeping with us at age 4, it's worked out GREAT! We have both our mattress and theirs on the floor (no frame, just box springs and top mattress) and then even if they do roll off, it's nothing dangerous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts