Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to try my hand at composting (finally!) and am excited. But I was wondering about food going into the landfills - couldn't it technically be a good thing for the landfills? Since the food probably breaks down faster than other household trash, does the food help start other items in their decomposition?

I don't know if that is a stupid question, or if it is even relevant at all, but it crossed my mind and I thought I would see what you all thought.

Melissa

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Most landfills around here at least are engineered such that nothing breaks down at all - not even the things that would be gone in a few days if they were left out in your yard/compost bin. This is apparently to prevent potentially harmful runoff, but of course has some nasty side effects of its own. You are much, much better off composting the waste, so kudos to you for deciding to give it a try.

I've recently started really expanding what goes into my bin. In the past, I only included kitchen scraps and yard waste. Now I am adding things that I never really thought of as compostable before - moldy bread, used napkins/paper towels (DH and DS love them and use them all the time *sigh* - before we threw them away, now I compost them if they haven't been in contact with any harsh chemicals), leftovers that don't contain meat, etc. The amount of garbage we send out to the curb is a little bit less, and I feel good about that.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I've thought this too but stuff that goes into the landfills is generally in plastic bags and doesn't get turned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts