Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How will stirring/beating chocolate cookie dough (the butter,sugar part) with a whisk or wooden spoon instead of using an electric mixer affect the cookies?? Will they just be flatter? Or would they not be as good? I don't own a mixer but I'm at the Choc Chip Cookies part of my baking list now & need help! thx

· Registered
8,781 Posts
do you have a cuisinart/food processor? cause i usually cream my butter and sugar in that. in fact, i put all the wet ingredients in mine-eggs,vanilla, etc...then add it a bowl with the dry ingredients. but if you don't have one of those either, mixing it by hand is fine. just make sure your butter is soft enough, and be prepared for a workout!

· Registered
1,725 Posts
I do all my cookies "by hand" - no electric mixer - even though I own one and have never had a problem - i use a fork to mix with

sorry I'm not much help

· Registered
545 Posts
Like pp said, they are chocolate, how bad can they be? I've done it both ways, I've never had a problem. I've used a nice metal fork and stirred really quickly. It's fluffed up nicely. Good Luck, tell me how they turn out. I would love to not use up electricity on a mixer. Also..have you tried out a blender? Just wondering.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, you people kick

mg, how about a blender on low? It's the only whipping type of machine I have... but I could definitely use the workout
maybe I'll just get it with a fork & crank down the a/c! Then I won't have to wash the blender. I wouldn't even care what they look like, but they're for the gift baskets we give to the neighbors... so, my baker's pride is in action - bahahah, baker's pride, y'all should have seen my Cocococonut macaroons I made last night! Hehe, i bought the unsweetened cocoa powder by mistake but didn't notice til all the macaroons had been dipped... then I thought I'd save them by melting chocolate & dipping them, which of course didn't work easily due to the powder layer - my awesome easy half hour project took about two hours :p But they are the yummiest happy-accident yet.

you guys rock
taaaahnk you!

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooop! carolsly, we crossed posts... was thinking of the blender too, but then thought it'd take the same amt of time to wash the blender as stirring them by hand, right?? I'll taste-test them for you all
& let ya know.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mg, pm me your address if you want cookies! i've been going a bit nutty with the baking lately & have plenty. the sucky part is they're not made with very healthy ingredients... cuz i'm not super-rich. but whats a few non-organic ingredients during the holidays, eh??? so get on it girl... & then sniff yer mail in a few days

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, the first cooked batch looks great! after baking, i don't really have a sweet tooth, so i'll taste them tomorrow... but thanks chicas, they look very yummy

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what up mamag ~ are you an organic ingredient snob or did ya just log off?? :LOL lemme know if you want some!

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, they turned out a little on the flat side after cooling... but they smell very yum. you know i'm always up for more religious literature... also just joking

BUT, if you're serious about the cookies, i'm serious about having plenty & would love to share! pm away chica... uh, any nut or wheat allergies in your home? most of these have one or the other, but a few are nut/wheat-free.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
Well, it seems like your question has gotten answered, but I just made sugar cookies the other day, and I don't have a decent electric mixer, so I used the good old wooden spoon, and they came out quite nice and fluffy. I think that if you have a good recipe, then the gadgets don't matter as much.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how'd you get them fluffy? this recipe called for two sticks of butter, which i used (the salted kind) but they're very flat. i'd love to get fluffy cookies - should i substitute shortening instead of butter, or is there some other ingredient or recipe that you or anyone here knows of that is more fluffy??

· Registered
4,169 Posts
When I make Ch. Chip cookies, I use a pound of butter, 2 cups white sugar, and 2 cups brown sugar (I know, I know, very unhealthy, evil, but sooo tasty!), and just beat it with my wooden spoon until it's nice and fluffy. After that, I add the baking soda, salt, eggs, ch. chips, and flour.

If I must toot my own horn, my cookies rival nestle tollhouse cookies. My family agrees, and they don't last long!

I've never used a blender, food processor, whisk, or electric mixer. So far, after making them for at least 20 yrs, they've always turned out great!

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by number572
how'd you get them fluffy? this recipe called for two sticks of butter, which i used (the salted kind) but they're very flat. i'd love to get fluffy cookies - should i substitute shortening instead of butter, or is there some other ingredient or recipe that you or anyone here knows of that is more fluffy??

If your butter is too soft (or melted) then the cookies will be flat. This will also happen if your dough is very soft (like if you are keeping it near the oven while you are baking). Try chilling the dough for a couple of hours before baking.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
Oh yes, my butter was only soft enough to mix in the sugar when I used it. And I chilled the dough before I used it, because these are cut out cookies, and it's easier to handle them that way. I suppose it would be a good idea to chill CCCs too, even though they're drop cookies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.