Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sorry for the less than pleasant topic but I just need to know. I have noticed that some days I have a lot more discharge than others. It seems to have been really heavy for the past week or so. I'm talking a lot here! One day I forgot to wear a panty liner and just soaked right through. I know that's TMI, so I apologize again. I just want to make sure this sounds normal and is not a sign that I'm leaking amniotic fluid. Would it be pretty obvious if I was leaking amniotic fluid? I'm sure I'm just being paranoid again, but wanted to check in to see if this sounds familiar to any of you.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It's *likely* normal pregnancy discharge, but it wouldn't hurt to get the discharge checked for amniotic fluid just in case. Slow leaks aren't always noticeable, but they are rare, so that's why I say it's probably not AF.
I suggest getting it tested though just because I had PPROM myself (a big gush, not a slow leak), and know lots of women online who had slow leaks early on. It's a simple thing to check it out.

Can you see the discharge at all? Does it have any color? Odor? Is it watery or mucousy?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup

Can you see the discharge at all? Does it have any color? Odor? Is it watery or mucousy?
I can't really see it. It seems watery and there is no real odor.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've had the same type of discharge with all my pregnancies, including this one and have never been diagnosed with a leak. My dr's are always suggesting that I am leaking pee, but there is no odor, and I can tell which opening it comes out of. (Now there's TMI for you.) If you are worried, I have NO FAITH in the fern test, I was tested twice when PROM and both came back negative. Best of luck mama, more than likely everything is fine.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflower_3
I've had the same type of discharge with all my pregnancies, including this one and have never been diagnosed with a leak. My dr's are always suggesting that I am leaking pee, but there is no odor, and I can tell which opening it comes out of. (Now there's TMI for you.) If you are worried, I have NO FAITH in the fern test, I was tested twice when PROM and both came back negative. Best of luck mama, more than likely everything is fine.
After posting this I read something about leaking pee. I had no idea that could happen without you really being aware. I'll have to see if maybe that's it. Man, pregnancy is so funny.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
IME amniotic fluid is slightly (ever so slightly) blush colored. Discharge should be colorless or white (or it could indicate an infection) and, of course, urine would either be slightly yellow or have a slight odor, or both.

I have the same type of discharge that you described and, yes, panty liners are a must so that I don't end up with major irritation to my sensitive girlie parts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts