Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took my (almost) four year old daughter into see a psychologist recently for an evaluation. We believe she has sensory issues and wanted to see what he thought. He thinks that she has Asperger's but wanted us to get an assessment through Early Intervention. From all of the information that I have read, I also believe that she has Asperger's. I called EI in our county and she told me that I could either have someone come out to our home and do an assessment, or I could take Leah to have an evaluation done. The woman I spoke to recommended the evaluation, so I showed up only to find out that it was a required school evaluation. We are going to home school, so I thought it would be best to just skip that and get the assessment. I called back to set up the assessment, and the lady was very rude and was trying to push me to get the evaluation, but I just told her we would prefer to do the assessment instead. Anyways, I received the paperwork today that I was supposed to fill out and send back before they would schedule an appointment with me, and there was a large note stating that I must enroll my daughter in school before she can be assessed. I feel uncomfortable with this as I was not planning on enrolling her until we were about to start her schooling, and by that time we are quite sure we won't even be living in the same area. So, I am wondering if this is common for Early Intervention. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
For your state EI does only go to age three, however... the public school does do a screening that is open to any child in your area. yes its required before they start school, but that doesn't mean they have to start school. Kwim? I would speak with someone else about it.

From your states education department page:

Quote:
Early Childhood Screening is a quick and simple check of how children are doing at three or four years. It identifies, at an early stage, possible learning or health problems so that children can get needed help before starting school. Early Childhood Screening is required for entrance in Minnesota's public schools and is offered throughout the year by local districts.
Notice the word "before" in that quote. LOL I think someone was answering phones that day that shouldn't have been.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.