Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had a very early miscarraige this month. (I was probably only 4 weeks along at most). I had a strange period at the beginning of the month, and I figured I wasn't pregnant and that my period was just heavier. Five days of no spotting or bleeding went by, and then I began spotting and had a day of heavy cramping and heavy blood flow followed by 3 days of normal period bleeding and 3 days of spotting. At this point I saw my midwife who did an hCG test and confirmed I had been pregnant and had a miscarriage.

My question is this--Today I started with cramping (not too bad) and have a moderately heavy flow. Is it normal to go on and on like this? Everything I read says it should just be a heavy period, last a week, and be done. In the 27 days we've been in June, I have only had 5 days of no spotting or bleeding.

Also-is it okay to be using tampons or could that possibly be making this drag on?

Thanks!
Patty

·
Registered
559 Posts
How long has it been since you miscarried? My miscarriage was very early too, about 4.5 weeks, and my bleeding stopped after about 4 days, and then I had a normal cycle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I'm not 100% sure when I actually miscarried. I had never gotten a positive prego test. I had a heavy period day with cloths from June 5-7, then the same thing from June 16-19, and now again since yesterday. In between times I have spotted or had regular to light blood flow.

Perhaps I am a "slow shedder?" With my first pregnancy I bled or spotted for almost 6 weeks.

Thanks for any advice. I hate to call on medical advice if I don't have to for fear it will lead to procedures I could avoid if I just wait it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you. I miscarried @ 6 wks last Saturday night. I have been bleeding quite heavy since then. I did finally pass everything on Friday and today has been a little lighter. I notice that if I am up doing things, the bleeding gets heavier, but with 3 little ones it's hard to sit for long. lol I hope someone can help you with an answer but I am kinda wondering how long the bleeding is gonna go on as well.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
I think it depends somewhat on how far along you are. I've had one m/c at around 6w and 2 at around 4-5w. The 4-5w m/cs were just life AF, just late. The 6w one was a little more with passing tissue. Mid-cycle spotting can be caused by hormones, too. If your hormones are still off wack from the pg, that may be causing the continual spotting/bleeding. It might be a good idea to at least call your hcp because the continual spotting and bleeding could be a sign that your body hasn't passed all the tissue, which can cause infection if not caught early enough. Definitely, if you have any signs of infection like fever, call your hcp.

BTW, I think it's a bad idea to use tampons right now. Using a tampon can increase the chance of infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts