Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get some 55% hemp fleece 45% cotton both organic for pretty cheap.

Would this be good material to us for diapers? These diapers would be for a newborn to probabaly 3months old or so.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have that hemp/cottom blend from Dharma's and LOVE it. It washes up nice, is still pretty soft and 'thick' enough to be super absorbant.

I made up like 5 dozen 8x8 wipes with it, and two dozen of them had a microfleece side attached and MAN that really helps with the poo! Note, prewash the hemp/cotton BEFORE sewing on fleece, as the hemp/cotton shrinks up a bit and will make your seams roll inwards if you have microfleece attached.
hehe (Learned the hard way as I wasn't thinking clear that day)

I also made up 2 dozen 20x20 flatfolds with it, with a pastel serged edge (Looks LOVELY with the natural creamy color of the fabric) and if you use the 'oragami' bikini diaper fold, you have like 6-8 layers of diaper absorbancy RIGHT where you need it. I'm going to attach a microfleece layer and if you fold it that way, the fleece will be surrounding the baby inside and out and will help with absorbancy and keeping them dryer, with not too bulky of a diaper. Should still dry fast as it's only one layer of hemp/cotton and 1 layer of microfleece!

I have to hide my Dharma catalog, TOO much temptation! They have lovely fabrics!

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Yes, as the other mamas have said, it's great for diapers...however, I might wait for PAST the newborn period to use the hemp. One of my kids was a heavy wetter, and the other not, but I still didn't see such heavy wetting as newborns (their bladders are TINY!) that I'd use such useful fabric for a newborn dipe. I personally would use just cotton...with maybe a layer of hemp for the overnight diaper(?) for the newborn dipes, and then for the 3-6 mo size, I'd start with the hemp blend. Just a personal preference, but I thought I'd give my 0.02.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by p.s
Perfect! Would your source be sharable?
:
Sure now that I have bought mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hemp-Cotton-Flee...QQcmdZViewItem

I do want to say that we paid for this 10 days ago and haven't heard from the seller since.
DH emailed yesterday to ask when it had shipped and I still have not heard anything. It is comming from across the country and I could just be impatient. (Well I know I am.
) But I just wanted to throw that out there. If you want I can update when I recieve the product.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i just wanted to chime in and say that i haven't bought fabric from that seller, but i bought some other things and shipping was a bit slower than from a big store but everything arrived beautifully and packaged well!

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WooHoo, the fabric is here.

Now I have another question.

What is the best way to cut 25 yards of this fabric for washing with the least amount of waste?

Thanks everyone!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.