Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
no they dont, the only midwife in town who has hospital privlidges is Mery Beth but her Dr is umm not well spoke of. I dont know if she actually 'catches' babes but she use to have a home birth pratice. I really love all the midwives in town, I worked at the BC for a few months and got to see them all in action and they are awsome, each different in their techniques but all so wonderful. I had another (solo) midwife attend my birth at home and was extreamly pleased with her service and would gladly go back to her again but I think that the BC midwives have dibs on me for my next birth.

Do you have to have a birth at the hospital?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
OK, I'm a pt of Mary Beth's. She's an EXCELLENT midwife, and loves patients who know their stuff. I love her, she's a real gift. I don't love the dr. she works with, but if there are no complications, you don't have to see him.

I truly believe MB is a gift to this town. She helped with M's homebirth just before she got hospital priveleges and stopped doing HB. She's a great mother, a super-smart medical woman, and probably fifty times more informed and supportive than the Dr. she works with.

If you decide to birth at FMH, and if you are informed, MB is a great person for you.

love, penelope

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rikiamber View Post
I dont know if she actually 'catches' babes but she use to have a home birth pratice.
Yes, she catches babies. She's awesome at making sure you get what you want, and that everything is safe and comfortable. She loves getting to know her patients, and is totally supportive of breastfeeding and laughs at our huge family taking up her whole waiting room.

If you decide to go see her, tell her I said hi.

love, penelope

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
The majority of my clients that deliver at FMH use Mary Beth or Eli Hogeson, two ladies I respect very much.
My very best friend used Dr. Hogeson, and I was very impressed with how gently and naturally her birth went. Dr. H seems to have a real rapport with birthing women.
As well as a great respect for the process as something natural, which is awesome.

love, p

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, this is very interesting and informative. Thank you.
I have seen Dr. Baurick a few times for IUI. He is okay, but not my personal choice for OB's. But he is better at IUI then that quack downstairs.

hmmm, I have never seen MaryBeth before, ever. Which is weird cause I have been in that office 15 times or so.

Unfortunately I do have to deliver in a hospital or go UA at home (but not really an option unless baby comes in less than 2 hours)because I will be having a VBAC and Alaska regulations for Midwives say they cannot attend a VBAC birth.

Situation is sorta long and complicated to explain but what the hell, I have some life left in my battery.

I am a surrogate, so this baby is not mine. I want my Intended Father's to be there for the birth. I have military insurance so I can just deliver on base at Basset but their labor rooms are super tiny, seriously. Not cool. And there is no way 3 support people plus staff can all fit.
The new hospital is not expected to take any patients until summer 2007 which means our May baby probably wont make it there.
My Intended Father's would prefer a hospital birth (normal first time parent fears) so I am thinking FMH. I have stayed in their labor suites and find them to be very accomidating. Plus I have a doula I would like to hire and she might be able to pull some strings to allow extra people in the room all at the same time.

Okay, so I totally prefer the midwife over a OB and that is why I am looking. Too bad MB is the only midwife with FMH privledges. She does not even take my insurance. Hmmmm. I know I can bill my insurance but that takes forever and it only pays like 50% cause that office seems to charge a LOT! Or maybe it is just Dr. B.?????

It is nice to know MB is still an option anyway. Thank you so much for your replies!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tammy, Bassett's rooms are tiny but we have had 5 people in there for a 40 hour birth before. Birthing mom and dad, grandma, mother in law, and me. The older ladies took the chairs for the most part and did leave a bit here and there but only because it was extremely long. And now they have the water birth suite which has extra space. There are two midwives there too. Maj. Sherry Franklin and Lori (sorry can't remember her last name right now.) Can they deliver with you if there is a doctor there backing them up? Also for situations such as yours, you shouldn't have any problems getting all your people in at FMH either.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
wow, this is very interesting and informative. Thank you.
I have seen Dr. Baurick a few times for IUI. He is okay, but not my personal choice for OB's. But he is better at IUI then that quack downstairs.

hmmm, I have never seen MaryBeth before, ever. Which is weird cause I have been in that office 15 times or so.

Unfortunately I do have to deliver in a hospital or go UA at home (but not really an option unless baby comes in less than 2 hours)because I will be having a VBAC and Alaska regulations for Midwives say they cannot attend a VBAC birth.

Situation is sorta long and complicated to explain but what the hell, I have some life left in my battery.

I am a surrogate, so this baby is not mine. I want my Intended Father's to be there for the birth. I have military insurance so I can just deliver on base at Basset but their labor rooms are super tiny, seriously. Not cool. And there is no way 3 support people plus staff can all fit.
The new hospital is not expected to take any patients until summer 2007 which means our May baby probably wont make it there.
My Intended Father's would prefer a hospital birth (normal first time parent fears) so I am thinking FMH. I have stayed in their labor suites and find them to be very accomidating. Plus I have a doula I would like to hire and she might be able to pull some strings to allow extra people in the room all at the same time.

Okay, so I totally prefer the midwife over a OB and that is why I am looking. Too bad MB is the only midwife with FMH privledges. She does not even take my insurance. Hmmmm. I know I can bill my insurance but that takes forever and it only pays like 50% cause that office seems to charge a LOT! Or maybe it is just Dr. B.?????

It is nice to know MB is still an option anyway. Thank you so much for your replies!
What a fascinating story!

Tammy, I'm wondering why MB won't take your insurance if Baurick did? Or did you bill insurance to pay B?

MB charges about $140 for an office visit, but you SOOOO get your money's worth. She would be VERY open to the fathers being there, she takes over an hour, usually, she is so incredibly informed. I don't vax, we're a little uncrunchy and a little crunchy, and she ALWAYS asks which way I want to go on any given issue

I see her, the kids see her, for medical stuff. We never did well-kid checkups til we met her because everyone was about vax and not about development or health overall. She loves spending time with the family, and understands my fears, issues, and needs. I love her, and truly think that for a 4time VBACer, she'd be the way to go.

I'd write more about what I know about that Dr. she works with, but feel it's inappropriate after having posted it here. If you'd like my personal opinion, and if you didn't read the thread earlier, email me.

Anyway, if you're interested, maybe you could just go have a consultation w/ MB, she's so special.

love, penelope

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
FWIW I seem to recall reading something stats on the ICAN site that Basset has a really low c-sect rate, something like 18% ? One of the FBKS mamas has the ICAN link in her siggy and there's a link from there.

I gave birth at FMH 4 yrs ago and found it to be a difficult place for a NCB, the LB nurses were mostly nice but totally clueless as to how to be helpful and the hospital regs (or at least this is what I was told) require patients to labor strapped in bed if you need induction meds (for whatever bogus or legit reason). Don't midwives handle most births at Basset? If so I think it would be better than FMH even if the rooms are small.

A friend just had a MW-transfer breech/c-set with Dr. Hogenson and was really pleased with her care.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you guys rock! THanks

So I have had 2 babies at Basset (VBAC) and both were just delivered by the person on call. I dont really think you can have your regular OB or midwife there unless he/she is the one on call when you are in labor but not 100% sure about that. At my first OB visit last Friday, I did see a midwife, col. something or other. Nice lady but very army like.
I am not military any more. DH was medically retired 10 years ago so we still enjoy the benies but dont have to deal with the military crap. (Who am I kidding, I would love to have a sweet new house on base and not pay all these darn utilities!)

I am not overly concerned with C-section stats but do find the research interesting. I dont plan on having one anytime soon. I know that on base they are awesome about NOT inducing or doing much of anything I dont want. Which is cool.

To answer Penelope's question. Interior Women's Health does not accept my insurance at all. My IP's (intended Parents) just pay out of pocket for that. I have never seen them for anything non-surrogacy related.
You have peaked my curiosity and I might be PMing you. I have seen Doc Lauwrason (sp?) downstairs for an IUI one time. Creepy old man he is.

I have been trying to convince my IP's to just do a home birth and before I was pregnant they agreed it would be something to consider. Of course now that baby is a reality they are getting cold feet.
Bummer. My last 3 labors have been so short 2 hours to 3 1/2 hours) and I am afraid that all the commotion of driving and getting in the hospital etc will detract from the moment. When birthing at home would be so easy and relaxed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts