Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fleece shirt I got a couple years ago and have long since outgrown it LOL (after DD) the shirt is sooo soft and I want to turn it into a Christmas diaper for my daughter. Can someone tell me if its wickable or water repellant or whats what with it? Do i use it for both layers or just an outside layer?
http://photobucket.com/albums/c211/b...ceshirt002.jpg
Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well Moonbucket is the expert on fleece here, but I can give you some suggestions.

My first test (Moonbucket dislikes this, sorry Jessica
) is to dribble water over the surface. If it beads up and runs off, you're good to go for an outer layer. If it sinks in and wicks, all is not lost. Please read Moonbucket's post on fleece, it is a sticky at the top of the forum. Really it's hard to say if the water doesn't dribble off if it's going to be a good inner or outer layer. Probably if it is nice and thick, it will make a nice outer just fine. If it is quite thin, it will likely only make a wicking inner.

My experience tells me that if the fleece is borderline (in my opinion) then I just use two layers and this works just fine. If I know it's thick enough and/or water-repellant, I just use one layer.

Please read Jessica's post though, it's much more informative.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does say 100% polyester but its different than the 100% polyester fleece I get from Walmart, this is MUCH softer than the fleece I've been using. The fleece I've been using is from Walmart I think its regular $7.84 / yard and it works well as an outter layer but not sure on this shirt fleece I have.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You know, the picture you have, although blurry, looks like my red malden mills fleece. this is the lovely fleece i use for outers.
Why don't you cut out a diaper cover shape from the fleece and you can just pin it on her over a prefold or fitted dipe and see what happens. If it wicks, you know it's an inner, if not, you know it's an outer. Then just turn the shape into the appropriate part of a cover.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Angelbee is just taking notes - that smilie means she's paying attention ;o)

It is impossible for me to tell from a picture whether or not the fleece will wick as an inner layer or be waterproof for an outer layer so if I were you, I'd take the advice and cut it into a body layer - first lay it into another diaper and test it for wickability - see if it keeps your baby dry or if it causes leaking because the pee is not absorbing through it. If it works like that, use it as an inner layer. If it leaks, try sewing it as an outer layer and give it a go!

If it's thicker like the fleece you've been using from walmart then I'd guess it'd work just fine as an outer layer. If it feels thinner it's probably best as an inner.

HTH! The water test could fool you

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonbucket
Angelbee is just taking notes - that smilie means she's paying attention ;o)

I have learned alot from all of you sewing mamas! I have to get the machine I was given repaired and then I will be joining you ranks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.