Mothering Forum banner

Question about going through airport security with a babe

1465 Views 31 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  intorainbowz
My DH and I are flying tonight from Las Vegas to Boston with our 6.5 month old DS. I was planning to wear him in the airport in either my babyhawk or in a pouch, but I'm confused at what I'm reading from the TSA...will I have to remove him from the carrier before I walk through the metal detector with him? I just want to be prepared because if that's the case I think I will wear him in the pouch because it's easier to pop him in and out of it. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
We just flew in May and you do have to take them out to pass through the detector...just before we got there, I popped DD out of her pouch and put the pouch in my purse. As soon as we passed through, put her back in...no big deal!! I was pleasantly surprised...and the only thing the flight attendant said was that I'd have to take it off during takeoff...we nursed the whole time and no issues there either...
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post
My DH and I are flying tonight from Las Vegas to Boston with our 6.5 month old DS. I was planning to wear him in the airport in either my babyhawk or in a pouch, but I'm confused at what I'm reading from the TSA...will I have to remove him from the carrier before I walk through the metal detector with him? I just want to be prepared because if that's the case I think I will wear him in the pouch because it's easier to pop him in and out of it. Thanks!

You're exactly right. You will have to take them out of everything and carry him through. Total nightmare. We had his carseat with us for the plane. he'd just gone to sleep and we take him out and put it all through the xray. My advice to you is to take on the essentials on the plane so you aren't weighed down. We were doing a transatlantic flight so were planning for every eventuality and ended up lugging things on the plane we didn't need. Next time just one bag for our stuff and him!
See less See more
I have two different kinds of slings - one with a metal ring, and one that's just a ring of cloth. ( I guess that would be called a pouch.) I've gone through security with the pouch and baby more than once, with no issues at all. The Las Vegas airport has security that's tighter than most other places (and a really long line no matter what time/day you get there) and they just cooed at the baby and let us all right through, since the sling didn't have any metal parts. This was two weeks ago. The baby was 11 weeks old at the time.
Since March I've flown twice with my son (4 and 6 mos) and gone through security at Phoenix Sky Harbor, Portland International, and Anchorage International. At none of those airports was I required to remove my son from his mei tai. At Sky Harbor the first time I was told explicitly by TSA personnel while I was waiting in line that "rules had changed recently" and that I could "keep him in there."

This might be different by airport, of course.
I've always worn my DS in a sling and have never been asked to take him out of it!
See less See more
thanks for all the replies! seems like I should wear him in the pouch but try to go through without taking him out and see what happens! I'll stick with the pouch for easy popability just in case, plus he is more easily able to nurse in the pouch than in the babyhawk. Too bad because the babyhawk is a lot easier on my back, oh well.
You can wear them through now. They changed that a year or so ago.

-Angela
I flew with my now 4mo back in May and I wore her in a babyhawk right through security no problem. It was great because she was just falling asleep and I would have hated to wake her. Next week I'm flying to phoenix without dh so I hope they let me wear her through security otherwise it will be quite a hassle.
Hmpf. I wish they would have changed that rule when I flew with my kids a while back. I had to take them out and all that, plus deal with my bags, take off my shoes, and all that. Real nightmare.
I've been through LAX, Burbank Airport, Seattle Airport, Portland Airport, and Indianapolis Airport with Brenten in a mei tai, never had to remove him once. I did see a mama get asked to remove her child who was in a ring sling, she was told it was because of the metal rings. I've been sure to use the mei tai to avoid hassle because of that.

~heather
See less See more
We just flew last month, I wore ds in a wrap (no metal parts) through security- no one asked me to take him out.
I flew with DD2 in a ring sling, and walked thru with her in the sling. The only problem was that the rings set off the alarm. They gave me the option of walikng thru again without the sling, or going thru with it, setting off the alarm, and having both of us get wanded & our bags searched. That was at the Phx airport, and I know Seattle is the same. So you would be fine going thru with your DC in a pouch or MT.
I wore ds in our Ergo when we flew overseas in December. We went through ATL as well as our local airport and I was never asked to take him out of the Ergo. He did have to take his shoes off, though!
nice to hear they have changed the rules. I have taken sleeping baby out more than once going through security. Will use the wrap this time

Kathryn
See less See more
I think it probably just depends on the airport and who you get. Last time I flew, I took DD out of the mei tai and they actually said I didn't need to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I think it probably just depends on the airport and who you get. Last time I flew, I took DD out of the mei tai and they actually said I didn't need to.
Actually the official rule until a year or so ago was that you HAD to take baby off. Then they changed it.

We have a couple of pilot moms here who first reported it

-Angela
See less See more
Yep! I though I would have to take DS out of the pouch when we flew last week, and I was pleasantly surprised!

I wore his through security at both the Toronto airport and DFW. Shoes off, but baby in a pouch. It was awesome and so much easier than a stroller!
I've been able to wear the baby in the Mei Tai for three different flights with no problems. The great thing about the Mei Tai for travel is not only is it all fabric with no metal rings, but it folds up really compactly and fits in the diaper bag when you're not using it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Actually the official rule until a year or so ago was that you HAD to take baby off. Then they changed it.

We have a couple of pilot moms here who first reported it

-Angela
Well, somebody needs to tell TSA then, because with one exception, I had to remove my baby from her carrier (usually a Bjorn) all 4 times I went through security last fall and winter... It wasn't because of the Bjorn -- they let me walk through still wearing it but holding my baby at arm's length.
I think you should hope for the best but be prepared to have to remove the baby.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.