Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OPK = other peoples kids
I am moving back to the area next summer and will have just recieved my masters in education. I would love to homeschool my daughter in a few years (shes only 8 mo now, lol) but I am a single parent. Although I have lots of help from Ari's Dad and my parents, I know I cannot afford to stay home full time. Does anyone think that there is a market for teaching other children as well as my own (for $, obviously)? And if so, how much people might pay? Short of becoming independently wealthy overnight, I cannot think of another plan.

This is not because the schools are bad, I just think that a ratio of 1 teacher to 5-8 kids is much better than the ratio the public schools have, and I want my daughter to have the best oppurtunities I can provider her with, possibly ME!

TIA

·
Registered
446 Posts
First thing you need to do is look at the state laws. Some states actually define homeschooling as being taught by the parent, you might be crossing the line between homeschool and private school as far as the state is concerned. You would then have to follow the laws for private schools. You probably could get away with tutoring. If you had different kids in out all day/week doing different subjects I think you could consider that supplementing what the parent is teaching. This might be good for especially jr high/ high school aged kids who are ready for highschool level education, whose parents don't feel comfortable teaching say Calculus but aren't ready for a community college course. I don't know if you could make enough to support your family. I just don't know what the demand is. You probably could tutor public school kids too if you needed to. I don't mean to discourage you, just some things to think about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts