Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kiddoes are pre-schoolers so I have a pretty good handle on what i am doing with and for them, but I have been asked to teach highschoolers. What books and curriculums should I look at? I have my degree and intend to take the exam to get my certificate. but I have gotten myself so into teaching little people I can't see where to begin with the older guys.
:
Oh, I have a strong emphasis in womens studies and african american and other histories not to discredit or downgrade euro or western I just want those two arenas to be well covered. I have a couple of my old college books but I don't want it to be too over there head. They might need an introduction first ya know?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
You need to check carefully and make sure this is legal where you are. Homeschooling is legal everywhere, but teaching some one else's children in your home is not the same as homeschooling.

Personally, I would not want children who were far from my kids ages in the house all the time. I want to focus on my kids and what is best for them and I don't feel I would have time to do that.

I think that what kids are doing in their mid-late teens depends strongly on what they are planning to do with the rest of their lives. Are they planning on college, do they want to start their own business, etc? I don't believe in a one size fits all education. A good book for you to track down would be The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I can't remember the authors last name.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
The Teenage Liberation Handbook
I agree!

I have a 15 and a 12 yr old and our HSing right now is a result of all that came before. That is not standardized KWIM? I wouldn't have any idea where to start or how to deal with someone else's children. Have they been HSed up until now?

Collette

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurus
I agree!

I have a 15 and a 12 yr old and our HSing right now is a result of all that came before. That is not standardized KWIM? I wouldn't have any idea where to start or how to deal with someone else's children. Have they been HSed up until now?

Collette
I am not personally homeschooling my kids. My mother is. We have decided on a curriculum but she has to implement it because she has a licensed daycare/pre-school. Plus we are trying to start a school so I can be home with the kiddoes more often. Anyways, many people have approached us to teach their children. The two we have accepted happen to be highschool age. I will be with them for about 4 or 5 hours a day. It isn't going to be too time consuming i think.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Do a lot of research as to what areas are required for college entry and go from there. I would also avoid American High School if these children have any plans of going onto college, even in taking the "college prep" course, as the maths are still seriously lacking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how it works out and what materials you end up using

My brother asked me to HS his son when he was around 5 years old. I used to babysit him. I ran screaming from that request:LOL You are a bigger woman than I!

Collette

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
The Teenage Liberation Handbook has a lot of great ideas, but be careful about math. She suggests a math program that some people love but a lot hate - so you want to make sure these teens have their own choices of resources. Also take a look at the great selection in the Fun-Books Catalog.

Here's a list of books on the teen years:
Books and Resources Specific to the Teen Years

And you'll find some really cool websites for science and other things in this set of annotated links:
Homeschooling Gateway to the Internet

There are some good articles on Ann Zeise's site too:
Older Kids

They're going to need to have lots of connections with other teens, though - so you should contact your local support groups and find out what all is going on there. ; ) Lillian.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would first check out their learning styles and personal interests, then work through a course on planning and goal setting like 'Home School High school and beyond'. (available from rainbow resource catalog website) That comes with a cd rom and you can rptin out doubles of the forms they fill out pretty simply. Next you sort out what grade level they are working at in the subject areas you want to cover. Will you want secular or nonsecular materials, how much planning time do you have available? Do you have a budget already set for this?
Then post again and I can help you with specific suggstions for each course of study.

I love having kids far apart in age in my home and feel it does not take away from my younger ones to have the older kids as role models there. Has made our homeschooling wonderful

Some of the resources we used hsing high school were- Videotext Algebra, Traditional Logic, Apologia science. We enjoyed unit studies on British Literature, state history, the civil war, the civil rights movement, econmics, US Government /civics etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts