Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Cindy:

I suspect what is happening is that your son's foreskin is separating from the glans as it should and it is not separating evenly, pulling at some areas. There may also be some micro tears to the glans or mucosal skin. His urine is probably getting into these and burning or stinging. This usually goes away in a day or so and he may have several episodes of this. If the pain goes away in a day or so, you can be fairly certain this is what is happening.

Now, for the redness at the meatus: I suspect that you are not familiar with what a normal healthy glans and meatus should look like because you are probably only familiar with circumcised penises. An intact glans should be red or even purplish red. This means that it is healthy. Even as an adult, your son will have a very pink/red glans and it may even be purplish. That is as it should be as the blood flow (and nerve endings) is very near the surface. A circumcised glans has the blood flow buried below about 10 times more toughened and dried out skin giving it it's characteristic pinkish grey color. I strongly suspect that what you are seeing as inflamation is really a sign of good health. If so, congratulations to your son!

Frank

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Cindy:

I blew my wad. I gave all of my answers at one time! If it doesn't go away in a day or so, it would be a good idea to consult with the Ped. He/she will determine whether it appears to be bacterial or fungal and prescribe a broad spectrum product for it. If this does not clear it up, insist on a culture to narrow it down for a specific treatment.

Speedy recovery for your son!

Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.