Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really clear on how these things work. Is it possible to be set up with a saline lock and only be hooked up to the IV while being administered a dose of penicillin? If this is something that can happen, I want to ask for it, but I don't want to say something totally ignorant to my OB.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, you can ask to have a hep-lock instead of a traditional IV. The plus side is you aren't tied to a pole. The negative is that it is still very annoying.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yes, it only takes 10 mins or so to run the dose, but they have to do it every 4 hours or so. But yes: you can just have a heplock in place, and be hooked up only during administration.

HOWEVER, I would strongly encourage you to look into natural ways to become negative for GBS BEFORE you test. I was + the first time and really regret getting the antibiotics etc; with #2, I took vit C, probiotics etc the whole pregnancy, and did a Hibiclens wash before testing...got a negative test!

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I would strongly recommend against the abx as well. They will kill off the bacteria in the vagina - both good and bad. Your baby picks up the bacteria on their way out which colonizes their gut and sets them up for a healthy digestive tract. Many women also have bad thrush issues as a result of the abx during labor.

If you've already tested + for GBS, I would look into the natural ways to get rid of it and then asked to be retested in a couple weeks. It could save you and your baby lots of troubles!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
There have been some recent studies that show that babies exposed to IV antibiotics in labor (for GBS+) have a much higher risk of E. coli infection. After reading that, I made sure my MW's and OB were all ok with me using a Hibiclens wash every couple of hours while in labor (IF I'm GBS+, which I don't know yet... working on getting a negative test so we don't have to worry about it) instead of antibiotics. My OB hasn't *quite* agreed yet, but he said he'd consider it if I brought in the studies.

There's a good page on the Gentle Birth website with more info:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was really against having the IV and was told it was the *only* way to be sure everything would be ok. I was also told I needed to be at the hospital in plenty of time so that they could start it 4 hours before birth.

I arrived at the hospital at 8cm lol (on purpose
- and went straight to delivery... I agreed to a heplock for any just in cases, and I was given just one shot of antibiotics.

Obviously the IV wasn't the *only* way of doing things. Had I been tested earlier, I would have tried to get rid of it myself and tested again though.. I'll definitely be doing that if there is a third baby.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless there is some other indication for continued IV fluids you only need to have the small piggyback run every 4 hours.

I only had the one dose as I too showed up at 8cm and had no special yeast issues.

HOWEVER I was declared beta strep positive as the result of a UA at the beginning of my pregnancy that nobody told me was supposed to have been clean catch. I was "Stuck with it." They were not going to reculture me. EVERY hospital and every practice has different "protocols" for this, your mileage may vary widely on it, just be aware that some places regard one positive culture as something writ in stone. Where I work, post birth beta strep positive babies are monitored more closely with vital signs every 4 hours. Other than that they don't say much about "In time" antibiotics, just be sure you keep your newborn close and warm so you don't trigger a workup.

There is NO force in nature that will prevent an ill newborn's temp from falling, but if you let a well newborn get chilled you could be facing a sepsis workup on a well baby!

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes - the m/w couldn't get a vein while I was in labor (so I didn't get them), but this is how the birth center I used did it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AutumnMoonfire View Post
HOWEVER I was declared beta strep positive as the result of a UA at the beginning of my pregnancy that nobody told me was supposed to have been clean catch. I was "Stuck with it." They were not going to reculture me. ...
. Where I work, post birth beta strep positive babies are monitored more closely with vital signs every 4 hours. Other than that they don't say much about "In time" antibiotics, just be sure you keep your newborn close and warm so you don't trigger a workup.
Same with my hospital-based CNMs - they said that there was no point in reculturing me because they would still count me + and the nurse said, "They will still do the ABTs." Excuuuuse me?! Um, yeah, NO, you won't - cuz you won't do anything I don't consent to & I'm not consenting to ABTs if I re-test negative!"
Turns out I retested + again anyway. But my labor went super fast & I didn't have time for any anyway.

I personally would also recommend looking into hibicleans. Plus, if your bag of waters stays in tact (as mine did) and you don't have any unnecessary vaginal exams (so, IMO, basically NONE, except to confirm dilation at 10 cm) that also reduces your risk.

Since I got no ABTs, protocol was to keep DS in the hospital 48 hours & do a couple blood draws. That was it though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used a birth center, so even though they didn't get the antibiotics in me (veins didn't cooperate) - we had to stay for 12 hours after birth and a pedi came to see DD about 6-8 hours after her birth. They usually don't have pedi's come to the birth center but if a mama is GBS+ they do. It was also pretty rare that a mama would stay 12 hours - they usually leave at 4 hours post birth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.