Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering (midwives) what the legalities are about ordering lab work. Can a CPM order lab work or do you need to be Licenced by your state to have the ability to order lab work? Do you suppose that if you were neither CPM or LM that a back up doctor could order the lab work for you?<br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
They just have to have a lab that will allow them to order the lab work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where do you find such a lab? I remember being pregnant and calling the hospital lab to order some blood work that I knew I needed and they said I needed a doctor to "order" it for me. So what kind of lab would let e oreder blood work.<br><br>
Erica- we both live in Minnesota are there any in our state the allow a person to order lab work?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I will PM you some info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey all, PM me as well, I am also in MN.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<a href="http://www.prepaidlab.com/" target="_blank">http://www.prepaidlab.com/</a><br><br>
This place allows for people to order their own labs, if it is difficult to set up your own lab account. I had thought one location was in Shakopee, but it is actually in Edina. That might be helpful! Their prices are really affordable too, which is great for self-pay.<br><br>
Then there is also calling your local hospital labs and seeing if they will allow you to send clients there for their lab work. Some will say yes and some will say no.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Labs such as the one Erika noted are a great resource for families, I think. I've been very glad to see such labs spring up in recent years.<br><br>
Another option for getting labs ordered if your mw can't order them, is to find a friendly chiropractor to do it for you. Chiros can't do surgery or prescribe medical remedies, but they can indeed order all kinds of labs/diagnostics (bloodwork as well as ultrasound and other).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts