Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m a little weirded out. I went to buy some WIC items at walmart and I grabbed the first carton of eggs I saw. At the register, they told me to get another kind becuase those were VEGETARIAN fed hens. What do those hens eat? Dont these people know that chickens eat grains and corn? I am so disgusted... does anyone know what these chickens are fed? I am obviously going to start buying organic eggs at another store but gees..... this is the stuff WIC is giving me for my baby!

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I'm pretty sure that many major egg and meat industries give their animals food that consists partly of animal by-products. Unfortunately, I've heard that this also includes sick, injured or deformed animals that can't be used for the eggs/meat.

I'm sure someone better informed about it may know the disgusting details.

OT - I remember when tuna companies were labelling tuna as "dolphin safe". Ellen Degeneres joke, "What else should I be looking for on my food labels... monkey safe spaghetti sauce??" tee hee.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
it depends on your state. In my state, i can get organic eggs and milk on WIC. there are some restrictions like i cant get raw milk and i have to get AAlarge eggs. and the check is only for so much $$. but i dont drink milk , so i would get organic eggs and cheese and simply not buy the milk.

but i have heard that in other states organic is not allowed. you should talk to your worker. maybe if you say you are a vegitarian ?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told I could not get anything organic or any "specialty" items like vegetarian eggs or raw milk etc. It is so gross to think they're feeding chickens parts of other chickens. YUCK!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
there is also chicken pooh in the feed

no wonder regular eggs are so much cheaper, eh? i was at safeway today and it was so tempting, there was a sale , buy one get one free on 1 1/2 doz cartons of eggs! so it would work out to 36 eggs for $1.50 !!!!!!

Quote:
Recycled animal waste, such as processed chicken manure and litter, has been used as a feed ingredient for almost 40 years. This animal waste contains large amounts of protein, fiber, and minerals, and has been deliberately mixed into animal feed for these nutrients. Generally, animal waste is used within the State where it is produced because the bulk and weight of the product makes interstate shipment uneconomical. Normally, this animal waste is used by small farmers and owners of beef and dairy herds as a winter supplement for mother cows and weaned calves.
http://www.pickle-publishing.com/pap...nimal-feed.htm

i havent explored that site fully, i just typed in "chicken feed feces"in google to find an article cuz i have read about it before. so i dont know what the whole site is about but thoughti would find a quote for ya

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
There is blood meal (blood) from slaughterhouses in chicken feed I think, plus whatever they can find to add in. If the eggs are organic and free range the chickens can eat bugs and worms and vegetation. My chickens love their feed more than kitchen scraps
I haven't found organic feed locally.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's funny...I've actually wondered about the "vegetarian" hens because hens are not naturally vegetarian...We keep our own laying hens and they delight in snapping up bugs and worms whenever they can find them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts