Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm pregnant. I havn't nursed DD since she was 8 months old And well, I want to get out and make some friends where I live, BUT, I dont think I'll be welcome at LLL because A: I'm not nursing *Now* and B: I was an early quitter...

Not only do I want to make friends for myself, I wouldn't mind hooking up with fellow like minded parents so DD can have some friends to play with (and for me to have someone that wouldn't mind watching her during my labour/delivery who WONT give me the hairy eyeball if they find out it's a homebirth)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You would certainly be very welcome at our LLL group! So much depends on the leader and the other moms in the group. In general, LLL believes that any amount of nursing is highly desirable and I don't believe any LLL Leader would even bat an eye at a mom (or a baby) stopping at 8 months! That is so much farther along than most moms get and is to be highly commended!!!! That said, I have heard that some groups can be much more welcoming than others, so don't hesitate to try any and all local groups before you make a decision. Some LLL groups also tend to be much, much, much, more "crunchy" than others.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I met the LLL leader in our area.... the one I met owns a berry farm out in Royston. She is awesome, and her kids are great. She was hinting to me that LLL is so much more than nursing support and is much more of an opportunity to meet great people too. I think that she was trying to get me to join although I am finished nursing my boys. Anyhow... she seemed really nice and open too. Nobody will judge you for having a homebirth... its pretty usual around here.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'm due in November with my first, and I attend LLL meetings. They know I'm planning a UC and it was a great opportunity to answer a few questions about it. They didn't seem judgemental about it at all, just curious. (Might have something to do with the fact that I'm 19 and for some reason people expect young mothers to be very mainstream). I have not seen anyone judged for weaning either. There are moms who bf for 6 months and moms who bf for 3 years. They were just supportive and gave all kinds of information, and didn't look down on me like I didn't know what I was talking about just because I wasn't currently bf. Plus it was great to see moms who have had problems bf and overcome them.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Mama
I met the LLL leader in our area.... the one I met owns a berry farm out in Royston. She is awesome, and her kids are great. She was hinting to me that LLL is so much more than nursing support and is much more of an opportunity to meet great people too. I think that she was trying to get me to join although I am finished nursing my boys. Anyhow... she seemed really nice and open too. Nobody will judge you for having a homebirth... its pretty usual around here.
I know homebirthing is normal down in the main part of the Valley, Heck I didn't even get an eye blink when going for my bloodwork at St. Joes Labs down by 5th st. But up here in the Q's, I'm stuck with other military wives, from across Canada...many of whom are EXTREMELY mainstream and view Homebirth with extreme A: Fear B: disgust or C: Perplexety. Hell the first thing the MFRC tried to get me was a refferal to an OB!!!!
: Told them no thanks, I'm seeing midwives and I'm all set for that. They looked at me like I was smoking crack. These are people who've lived in this area for years!

I made a mistake in Borden by telling people DD was a homebirth and was planning another. It totally alienated me in the military community...I know there's more to Comox than up here in Lazo..but I do have to interact with these people day to day...and my DD will have to go to school with their kids, and all that. So I have to keep my mouth shut up here...

You know I just figured LLL = Breastfeeding support and socialization for BFing mommas...I'm not a BFing momma yet...so..I wasnt totally sure I'd be welcome..And I REALLY hate keeping part of me a secret KWIM?.

·
Registered
96 Posts
please go to ur local LLL meeting! they would love to have you. i personally think it's best to start before the baby comes to meet friends and get support. good for you for thinking of it! we have a pg woman in our group and it's so exciting!!! GL!!!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
our local LLL loves pregnant women atending, and regardless of how long you bf your last, you can learn more, be supported, and maybe not wean early this time.

our LLL has quite a few very crunchy mamas in it, one just had her homebirth 1mth ago
you should go, i'm sure you'll be surprised.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Ok, I'm pregnant. I havn't nursed DD since she was 8 months old And well, I want to get out and make some friends where I live, BUT, I dont think I'll be welcome at LLL because A: I'm not nursing *Now* and B: I was an early quitter...
Pregnant moms are always welcome at LLL. The assumption would be you were there because of wanting to breastfeed your new baby. You had a successful breastfeeding relationship with your daughter, from the sounds of it, even if you feel like you quit early. Or if you don't feel like it went as well as it could have and you want to go longer with your next one, that certainly that would be a great reason to go to LLL. You don't have to tell anyone how long you breastfed anyway.

When I am at meetings and the question comes up of why did you decide to attend (a question kind of like this comes up as an icebreaker/introduction type question from time to time), I tell people that I wanted to meet other breastfeeding moms.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Many women who have had challenges breastfeeding the first baby often come to LLL looking for support and a different outcome for the second baby. At the group where I used to live, the Leader had formula fed her first baby because of lack of support and sought out LLL while pregnant with her second. She was able to breastfeed both her second and third babies without major issues and went on to become a Leader.

Also, there is a mom in this same group who had tried but didn't nurse her first four children. She was remarried and pregnant again and has been nursing for the last eight months with no signs of slowing down, something she has thought she'd never do.

Not all the mothers at LLL meetings are instant pros at breastfeeding or even experts. But they are all there to support one another as their breastfeeding relationships grow and change.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
You made it a lot further with your first than I did with my first. And my leader didn't nurse her first at all.

Pregnant women are welcolme and your insights about troubles you may have had in the past could start discussions that could help not only you, but the other moms there.

I say go.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
My LLL group loves me and my older kids got very little breast milk. I felt wierd going while I was still pregnant but I found out that it's good to go before you give birth. Compared to many moms you are one of those "freaky extended nursers" LOL You should be proud of yourself for nursing 8 months.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You would be welcome at our LLL meetings, too. Half of the Leaders in our area have homebirthed and we really encourage pregnant moms to come to meetings. You should be very proud that you nursed your dd 8 months!

Laurel

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
even women who don't breast feed, but support breast feeding and want to breast feed future children are welcome at LLL meetings.

LLL is about supporting mothers and children!

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
When I was still attending meetings I loved it so much when PG women would come. I just think women are so lovely when they are pregnant... I know, goofy! But it was also fun to see them getting big and then... miss a meeting or two and pop up with the baby. But it REALLY made me happy because I knew that if one of them had a problem in the first week or two they would be more likely to grab the phone and call our leader, since they already knew her... and I think many women would hesitate to call if they didn't have a connection already.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
i agree with the above mamas who say try it out...

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I always advise LLL for pregnant moms - we need support and confidence building and networking most BEFORE the baby comes. I've ALWAYS thought/known LLL welcomed expectant parents!

I/we will be going once we're farther along, definitely. And yea, it'll largely be just go get to know other like-minded parents in the area!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts