Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make some pajamas for ds. I have a couple of questions.

Do you use flame retardant fabric or just any knit?

Do you have a favorite pattern?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marybethorama
I want to make some pajamas for ds. I have a couple of questions.

Do you use flame retardant fabric or just any knit?

Do you have a favorite pattern?
I don't use flame retardent. More scared of the retardents than flames. I've used plain old cottons and flannels for 2 PJs for DD and one for DH. I have a multisized mens/boys Nightshirts, shorts and PJ top pattern that's been great. The boys sizes are s (6-8) M(10-12) and L(14+) but my 3 yo (size 3//4) wears the nighshirt just fine. it will fit for awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
i too worry more about the chemicals than flames. i love using flannel. or fleece for zippy pjams. Knit is nice cause it has so much stretch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
I use cotton as well. Once polyester loses its flame retardancy, it burns and melts like the plastic it is. Cotton burns less quickly and leaves a soft ash, not a big hot glob. Wool is ideal I think, it is naturally flame retardant because it will self-extinquish when removed from the flame source.

If you research the flame retardancy issue, you will find that the original concern was for children dressed in loose nightclothes that would catch on fire before and after bed, not while they were sleeping at all - as I always thought. I don't understand the concern with children's nightclothes catching on fire but not their playclothes which they wear many, many more hours of the day. Isn't this inconsistent? Not to mention that we sleep on cotton sheets...

We don't have open flames in our home (not even candles except for the occasional birthday) and my children's jammies are reasonably well-fitted. They sweat in polyester and I don't like the fire-retardancy chemicals, though I am not thrilled about the chemicals used on most cotton fabrics. Cotton does seem to be the better choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your answers, I really appreciate it.

The flame retardant material is expensive and I can get cotton and flannel cheap so I'll go ahead and use that.

I think I'll the try the Simplicity pattern. Just what I was looking for.

Edited to add: Simplicity patterns are on sale at Joann's-whee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I always wondered about that warning on the flannel about not being flame retardant. I can stop feeling guilty now about making flannel pjs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by selendang
I always wondered about that warning on the flannel about not being flame retardant. I can stop feeling guilty now about making flannel pjs.
The flannel I bought has "not for chilren's sleepwear" printed right on the selvedge


Whatever.

I made one pair and ds loves them. Now he wants his second pair. He says I have to tell everyone I'm busy and can't help them so I can sew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shenjall
ditto.

I use this pattern:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...TOKEN=34692166

Simplicity 9499 - it has sizes small - xl in one pkg. I can make pj's for my dh right down to my 6 yr old. (I have modified the pattern to work for my 3yr too)

Flannel for the bottoms and knit for the top.
I use 9900, but I can't find a way to make it come up. Same thing though - sized for me, DH and DD. I just put my 3 yo in the 6 yo size. She'll grow into it one way or another.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,105 Posts
My mom was in a fire, had 3rd degree burns over much of her body. Most of those burns healed well, although they left scars. The worst burns, though, and the ones that they were talking about grafting, were the ones on her wrists, where her polyester blouse melted to her. You're all very correct about cotton being safer than poly for night clothes. That flame retardant will eventually wear/wash off, and even if it hasn't yet, it is a RETARDANT, not a flame PROOFER. It will still catch and melt. Glad to see that you chose to go with the cotton.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,105 Posts
Oh, and yes, I make jammies for my kids. In fact that is what I spent all day friday doing! I am currently using Simplicity 9853. It has shorts, long ones, and zippers, as well as a bathrobe. You could easily use flannel (like I'm doing) as well as fleece. I am in a "sew it up quick" mode, so I like this because it is a pullover the head top, rather than a button and placket top. The button up kind is nice and neat looking, but this is easier for my almost 3 year old to get on and off himself, and quicker to sew, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by courtenay_e
My mom was in a fire, had 3rd degree burns over much of her body. Most of those burns healed well, although they left scars. The worst burns, though, and the ones that they were talking about grafting, were the ones on her wrists, where her polyester blouse melted to her. You're all very correct about cotton being safer than poly for night clothes. That flame retardant will eventually wear/wash off, and even if it hasn't yet, it is a RETARDANT, not a flame PROOFER. It will still catch and melt. Glad to see that you chose to go with the cotton.
ooooohh - that's horrible. I so sorry for your mother. Thank god she got out alive!

I like the pullover top, courtenay - great for little kids!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellien C
I don't use flame retardent. More scared of the retardents than flames.
:

I almost always use on-sale flannels. I have boys, so I just use woven shorts/pants jammie patterns. I have made a flannel shirt, too (tiger flannel for a Halloween costume/jammie combo), but my guys usually prefer to wear their slightly outgrown Ts. Pretty funny, but very thrifty!

For pattern recs, try www.patternreview.com. I've got a few up there, I think 2 are boys jams.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellien C
ooooohh - that's horrible. I so sorry for your mother. Thank god she got out alive!

I like the pullover top, courtenay - great for little kids!
Yes, thanks, she was very blessed to come out alive. So were we...I was nine at the time!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top