Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to grate fels naptha to a very fine consistancy but it is to soft. I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this? I thought about sticking it in the freezer but dont know if it will work. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I always unwrap mine and leave open to the air for a few days before grating to let any excess moisture evaporate before shredding.

I don't know if the freezer would help or not.

Are you grating by hand? Or using a food processor? I use a food processor with the grating blade, then switch to mixing blade and add in the washing soda and borax.

good luck

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I prefer the dry, and the freezer helps, but it is very hard to grate by hand and I don't have a food processor
I used a chopper and got it pretty small and it dissolved so it might be o.k. I was using castle soap before and I could get that to a powder so that is what I'm used to I guess. Thanks for the help I will leave it out for a few days for my next batch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
I use a food processor with the grating blade, then switch to mixing blade and add in the washing soda and borax.
Why haven't I thought of this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopefulmama View Post
Would you mind sharing your recipe using washing soda, borax, and fels naptha? Every one that I've tried hasn't gotten to a good consistency.
For a powder detergent:
1 bar grated, 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda - use 1-2 Tblsp per load

I have a FL and use 1 Tblsp per load and love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.