Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has had success using NCSS's nighttime sleep tips, without implementing the daytime sleep tips. Dd naps during the day, usually (but not always) twice, usually (but not always) at roughly the same times. If she doesn't do two naps, she'll usually take one longer one in the early afternoon. She naps when she needs to, and it seems like a lot of work to change this or implement a daytime routine, when we both seem pretty happy with the way our days go. If she gets tired, I notice and nurse her to sleep. She has no trouble doing it. If she wakes up from a nap fussy, I nurse her again and she will sleep more if she needs to.<br><br>
I would, however, like to help her sleep better at night (fewer wakings, for instance). I've been doing a VERY vague evening routine (diaper, PJs, quite play/read a book, nurse to sleep) and trying to use "sleep words". She has a "sleepy doll" as well, which works quite well.<br><br>
All this is preamble to say...do I really need to implement a daytime routine and get her napping at a regular time in order to see results at night?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I didn't really change anything about our daytime sleep routine. The only thing I did keep an eye on was the length of his nap. DS is 14 months and only usually takes one nap. Basically, if it is less than an hour, we're screwed. So I always listen for him waking up and nurse him back to sleep if it's been less than an hour.<br>
BTW, making a strict bedtime routine worked WONDERS for us. Once we finish with his bath, the lights are dimmed and we don't leave the bedroom. We read books, have lullaby music on and then he usually starts squirming for me to nurse him to sleep.<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I found that daytime and nighttime success happened at totally different times with NCSS. DS#1 was in daycare and napped terribly there, but we had a naptime routine on weekends. We were consistent with bedtime and overnight routines the whole time. So, I think you can do one without the other. You might want your naptime routine to be a miniature version of the bedtime routine, even if you are not on a nap schedule per se. Our nap routine used to be going up to the nursery, changing diaper, putting on soft music, and nursing to sleep (then to almost-asleep, then eventually putting down awake). I think falling asleep in the room or bed where the nap will happen is better than falling asleep downstairs.<br><br>
BTW, what helped us with overnight wakings once DS was old enough to not truly be starving overnight was to cut the overnight nursing sessions shorter by one minute every few nights until they were only 5 minutes long (from let-down). It was just enough to resettle him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts