Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DS is 4 yrs. old.  He has a soccer ball that he loves to kick around.  The neighbors boy (7 yrs.old and my dd's best friend) came over and saw ds playing with his soccer ball so he asked if ds wanted to play with him.  We live in a cul-de-sac, so the boys went down and were kicking the ball back and forth.  Then some other boys saw this and asked to play.  The next thing I know, 4 boys, all much bigger than 4 yr. old ds were playing soccer, keeping score, and basically preventing ds from playing with his own ball.  Now, occasionally they would let ds kick the ball and this was just enough to keep him appeased, but the competition got more intense as time went on. I spoke up when I saw ds getting really frustrated and reminded the boys to let ds play. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>OK I didn't want to be the mom who rushes in and takes our ball home so that none of the kids get to play, but this was getting extremely frustrating for ds.  I was relieved when the sun started going down because I was able to say, "uh oh, time to come in" and ds picked up his ball and started to come in.  The original boy asked if he could play in our backyard and I said yes.  With just the two of them it wasn't an issue.  DH says that we should have just told the other boys that they were not welcome to play, I thought that as long as ds didn't have an issue with what they were doing that we should just let it be. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, what would you have done?  Did I do the right thing in just letting things play out or should I have stepped in sooner?</p>

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
<p>I think that in this situation, since your son wasn't getting frustrated, mad or not having fun you handled it well.  I also think that something to keep in mind in the future, if your son isn't as easy going, is that it's alright to say something along the lines of "hey, that's our ball and son would really like to play with it, do you guys have a ball of your own you could run and get?"  Or, if you have another ball around the house, bring that one out and give it to the other kids to play. (I don't know about you but we tend to have a few different balls hanging around)</p>

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
<p>Yeah, I think I would have said something like the PP said, "Hey, that's ds's ball.  Do you have another ball you can use for your game so he can play with it?"</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts