Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok apparently ds is a VHW. So someone suggested a nighty newts diaper from little lounging lizards. It arrived. A beaut. Work of art not to mention the lovely way it was wrapped in tulle and tied with hemp and the nice freebie wipe that Stacy included. So I eagerly washed it a couple of times and then we tried it out with a wool soaker at night. Ds was soaked after a couple of hours first time. Disappointment
. So we tried it again last night and the same thing happened. Why is everyone raving about this thing, I thought. Then it suddenly occurred to me that it's made the way it is so that you can stuff it with something
. I'm figuring this is the correct way to use it. Can someone please educate me on this one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think it's made for stuffing! I think it's made like that so it washes thoroughly and dries quicker.

When you say soaked, do you mean it won't hold any more? That thing can hold a lot of pee! Is it that you have leaks? I think that would be a cover issue. Or that it feels wet? Then a fleece liner might be in order. I haven't used mine yet because it seems so big, but I must admit I've played with it by pouring water on it, and it sure holds a lot of wet. Still it will feel wet 'cos the moisture has to go somewhere!

Good luck with your super wetter...hope this helps

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I get what you mean about the stuffing, and I've done it that way a few times (put a doubler in the middle underneath the top layer of hemp fleece that's fleece side out - her komodo doublers fit perfectly). I don't however think that it needs it for us, but it might for you, so maybe give that a try? Ours is soaked through to half way by morning, but I put fleece inbetween him and the dipe, so he stays relatively dry. It does feel pretty soggy, though. Can't be of much more help, though, sorry!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies for your input. I think I'll just go ahead and email stacy directly with my questions since I'm still a bit confused
. It does sound like I need to wash it alot more than I have for nighttime absorbency. No leaks tho thanks to our wool soaker.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Our 2 yr. old DS wears his nighty newts w/a soaker for nightime. The nn is always thoroughly saturated up front, but I use a fleece liner so he stays dry. We've had no wet jammies so I'm happy and so is DS - he sleeps on through. I use the soaker size nighty newt on dd - stuffed into a fb. I did wash mine about five times first.

HTH

·
Registered
366 Posts
hi there
Just replying for information purposes, but I think most everyone answered your questions! It is not made for stuffing, just made to dry quickly. Though I guess you could add a doubler if you needed to.

I wash and dry the hemp three times prior to sewing, so it could probably use a few more washings before it gets really absorbant. Hemp does get more absorbant with washings. So take heart in hopes of a dry night!

******* isn't a very good tester for me anymore since he night weaned! lol He rarely feels damp in anything!

Email me if you like and have any more questions, we can discuss the fold you use and hopefully find a solution.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok ladies just wanted to report on a successful night with the nighty newt
. I did use a JB in the middle panel and lined the whole thing with some microfleece I got from Jo-Ann's. On top went the wool soaker and voila a dry comfy baby in the a.m. despite the dipe and JB being soaked. This is a first time dry night so I wanted just wanted to plug the nighty newts since my original post may have discouraged some from buying one. And also thank y'all for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.