Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently stopped pumping while I'm away from DS during the day (4 days, soon to be 5 days, per week). He's 13 mos. & still nurses often when we're together, A LOT the past few days though other days he doesn't even ask before or after a nap. When we nurse he's been asking to switch sides, which he never did before, and I'm assuming this means that because I'm no longer pumping my supply is down significantly.<br><br>
Because of this, when I am home I feel like I need to supplement with other milk (we do mostly cow's, some soy) in between nursing. I'm not confident that he's getting enough & his nursing pattern has been erratic, but I wonder if I'm just being paranoid. It feels weird because I never gave him a bottle when I was pumping... If I was with him, he nursed.<br><br>
I want to encourage him to keep nursing as long as he wants (we're doing CLW), so I don't want to push it on him if it isn't necessary. But whenever I offer it to him, he sucks it down like he's so thirsty.<br><br>
How have you dealt with nursing a toddler when you're fairly certain you have a low (or low-ish) supply? I'm not willing to start pumping again.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
You are still operating on supply and demand so I would just nurse often when you are together. At that age I would suggest offering before and after a nap. It is hard to estimate but if he is nursing as often as he wants...maybe more than 5 times a day, I would guess you don't need an alternative milk. Offer if you want to, I also don't think it will encourage him to wean to have small amounts but I don't see it as a need.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts