Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a while, do u start taking ur baby to the potty for ur own convenience?

for example, you need to go shopping, so u take them before leaving to avoid accidents at the store?

after a certain period of time, do they associate the cue sounds with the potty to the extent that just making the cue sounds will allow them to eliminate?

(i know for me i think it's funny when the midwives ask if i can pee for the urine test...sitting on the toilet is enough to get me to pee--is it like that?)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Sure, I would take my dd to pee before we left the house, or sit her on the potty before we went into store. But she wasn't much of a signaller, so I was mostly deciding when to take her based on when I thought she would need to go anyway, not just waiting for her to give me signals.

And, yes, the whole point of having a cue sound is that they associate it with peeing and soon just hearing the cue sound will make them pee. (If they need to go - it's not quite as strong a pee inducer as sitting on the toilet is for an adult. But then, we've spent years developing that association, and babies haven't had so much practice peeing on cue.) Being held in a certain position, sitting on the potty, etc. also become cues to pee, so you don't necessarily always need to use the cue sound once they develop those other associations.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I always offer an opportunity before we leave the house. I tell my older kids, "Try to go potty before we leave" because they often get excited and forget they haven't been in a while, and then five minutes down the road "I gotta go POTTY!"

I used to offer an opportunity to the little one the same way whe he was a baby. Sometimes he'd go, sometimes not. At least I *knew* he didn't need to go urgently. I'd also offer when we got where we were going, sometimes he'd go, sometimes not, but I knew he didn't need to go, and I could get on with whatever I was trying to get done.

I don't think it's for "convenience" just using an opportune moment to give them a chance to go.

Kathryn

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know that David (5 months) definately responds to the cue I make. He does a little grunt and out comes the pee. Sometimes it is just a tiny bit . . . but if he has to go even a bit he will on demand. I find it is really great with my 2 y.o. because He often refuses the toilet because he gets very busy. But if I take him and pss pss he will always go ( if he has too). I pretty much trust him 99% of the time except right before bed. I always ask him to "just try" LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
after a while, do u start taking ur baby to the potty for ur own convenience?

for example, you need to go shopping, so u take them before leaving to avoid accidents at the store?

after a certain period of time, do they associate the cue sounds with the potty to the extent that just making the cue sounds will allow them to eliminate?
I generally offer the potty before we leave and after we arrive someplace. I suppose you could say it's for my convenience, but it's really no different than asking a potty-trained toddler/preschooler if they have to go - it helps avoid accidents while we are out and about.

The cue sound tells the baby "it's OK to release your bladder/bowels here if you need to". If she doesn't need to go, she won't. But if she hasn't gone in the last 30-40 minutes, she will almost always pee at least a little bit when I cue her.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
yes, they will learn to go on cue like that. my son just associates sitting on the potty and going.

now we are going through the phase where he knows what to do, but just refuses sometimes argh.
:

·
Registered
842 Posts
urine is constantly being produced by the kidneys and accumulating in the bladder. We only "need to go" when the bladder reaches a certain point of fullness and the muscles begin to stretch. That is why if you have to pee in a cup, even if you don't "have to go" you usually can get at least a little bit out. there's always some, just not always a lot.

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah, same as all of the above. i remember as a kid thinking it was amazing that as soon as i sat on the toilet, out came the pee, without me really doing anythign that i was aware of. it would always think, how does my body know??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.