Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loving the simplicity of cpfs for Livi during the day (the majority of our stash is Muttaqins--25 of them, thanks to grandpa!!). But Livi pees right through them! I thought maybe I wasn't catching the first time she went, but she decided to go as I was putting one on her today, and she soaked the cpf and the changing pad underneath! She's in the infant size right now, but I can barely get it around her to put in the pins (yes, I love pins
).

Are the premiums any more absorbant? They have the same amount of layers, right? What can I do to improve the absobancy? How much bigger is a (washed & primed) premium prefold? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

· Registered
6,992 Posts
I'm a prefold lovin' gal myself
A premium is about 3-4 inches longer and a couple of inches wider than an infant. Since they are so much longer, you end up folding the front down which gives you more layers for absorbancy - at least that's how it works for me. Something I've done, since I hate the bulk of front folding is I've trimmed mine so they are shorter, like an infant size, and the extra part that is cut off goes in as a doubler for more absorbancy. It's pretty easy to do, there are instructions onDiaper Pages

· Registered
1,556 Posts
I agree with the previous poster about the premium prefolds. Yes, they are the same amount of layers, but more fabric in general. So, it can soak up more pee than an infant prefold.

You could also add doublers. That may help some. We did that sometimes.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
It's very true what pp have said about folding the premiums to fit and that they have more absorbancy that way, but I've found that they end up being REALLY bulky. We use our premiums for nighttime dipes and regulares during the day. The regulars are about the same size as the premiums, but have 6 layers in the center instead of 8. When folded, you've got more absorbancy then just an unfolded infant, but not as much bulk as a folded premium. Does all this make sense?? :LOL

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack419
It's very true what pp have said about folding the premiums to fit and that they have more absorbancy that way, but I've found that they end up being REALLY bulky. We use our premiums for nighttime dipes and regulares during the day. The regulars are about the same size as the premiums, but have 6 layers in the center instead of 8. When folded, you've got more absorbancy then just an unfolded infant, but not as much bulk as a folded premium. Does all this make sense?? :LOL
Ditto this!

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
How many times have they been washed? How often do you change them?
I washed them about four times on hot before she was born, and they've been washed a few times since then too. Although, I just realized that when DH used them as a spit rag, he throws them in the regular laundry, where they get fabric softener... Will it help if I boil them?

I usually change her about every hour or so during the day--less if I know she's wet. Maybe I should try going coverless tomorrow.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
I like CPFs for simplicity around the house too. But, I think I have the same problem as the OP. I use a premium on ds (newspaper fold) so there's lots of absorbancy in the wet zone, and he can pee right through it on one pee. I just don't worry about it that much, if my carpet gets a little damp, because I can't really seem to figure out what else to do about it. But, I do want to get some more CPFs. They're so simple. Maybe colors this time. I want to dye my white one's, but I'm a chicken!

· Registered
6,264 Posts
They say about for washes before the first use is enough, but I found that it is only enough to make the usable. It takes MANY washed for prefolds to reach their optimal absorbency and softness and that's why they keep getting better and better the longer you have them

Fabric softner is a BIG NO-NO!! They kill the absorbency of dipes. You might need to strip your prefolds before your daughter wears them again.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Ya know, it just dawned on me. I have been using regulars for a while now. My Dd has outgrown them! No wonder they don't absorb like they used too, lol. I need premiums now too.

I just checked a few prefold sites and Jen is have a 25% off everything sale at her site!...going to post...then to shop! I've bought colors from her before

25% off at bum wrap

· Registered
457 Posts
I boil all my prefolds before washing (several times) before use. It really helps. The premiums are huge! We switched up when the girls were around 16 1/2 lbs and now that they're 17 1/2lbs they're fitting better. I fold a bit down at the top back and then snappi. We still trifold our infants into covers, but they only absorb enough for 1 wetting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.