Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Hibiclens that they sell at Target for $5, the same stuff that you can use vaginally for GBS prevention? I'm guessing it must be? But I swear the bottle I saw on Inhishands.com was different than the one I saw at Target...even though they both say Hibiclens. I just don't want to be putting the wrong stuff down there during such important times yk?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the pharmacy section, by the witch hazel and stuff like that. Walmart and CVS also have it. I know that people buy it there to help clear up their skin. The bottle specifically says not to use near genitals though, and it looks kind of different. So that's why I am wondering if it's the same Hibiclens or not?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, it is the same. You can get it at any pharmacy. I had to use it when I had MRSA, and cannot imagine putting it down there, as its pretty harsh stuff. I think ABX is more natural (derived from fungus, rather than a chemical cleaner), and a local MW told me you could get a ABX shot instead of IV, so you could use it OOH.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for chiming in with the hibiclens info. :)

I am just more comfortable with a one time harsh wash for something like this than I am my newborn and I being pumped full of (probably unnecessary) antibiotics. It really creeps me out how often antibiotics are prescribed for everything and anything now a days. And testing GBS positive leads to a lot of other weird hospital rules and stuff that I would rather not have to deal with since I think it's all mostly unnecessary. My preference is to use the hibiclens, test negative, and then keep my own eye out on my infant for those first few days and speak up the second I notice any funky symptoms from her (which I doubt will happen, since it's so rare anyways).

I used to be a nurse, so maybe that gives me more confidence or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsolarmomma2 View Post

Yes, it is the same. You can get it at any pharmacy. I had to use it when I had MRSA, and cannot imagine putting it down there, as its pretty harsh stuff. I think ABX is more natural (derived from fungus, rather than a chemical cleaner), and a local MW told me you could get a ABX shot instead of IV, so you could use it OOH.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I understand your preference to use Hibiclens over ABX, avoiding things you don't want is important, I agree. I just want to share the info I have, as I spent a long time researching this for my last UC.

If you are GBS+ early on, you may not be at delivery! And even if you are colonized at delivery, the odds of your babe getting GBS sepsis and having a serious illness is still low. Even lower if your birth is quick. Its one of those things where the odds are low, but if it happens, it can be very serious. In the UK, they don't test every woman, or treat for it, they don't think it's worh the cost (!). So it's a risk many people don't worry about.

The few studies I have seen on Hibiclens used wipes, several times, and also wiped the baby down. It was not proven to be all that effective, thus far. I can post the study links if anyone is interested. I'm really not sure how this got so popular, I think it would hurt!

I have also heard of CPMs suggesting douches, along with garlic. I don't think douching with anything is a great idea, putting things far up there can cause infection, especially after your water breaks. (Isnt this why we avoid all the extra vag exams?)

I totally agree that antibiotics are overused! My sons pedi has a big poster in just about every room that says how you aren't getting any, in almost all cases (cool doc!) GBS sepsis ABX is a one time thing, and you only get it if your positive. It won't add to ABX resistance. I can see wanting to test negative for the hospital, as it does mean theres lots more rules!

I was GBS + for my last UC and I got some ABX to administer to myself, from the local pharmacy But you can do that in Mexico.
eyesroll.gif
Here, you would need a script.

No matter what you choose to do, it's always a good idea to read up on the signs of GBS sickness, as Knowledge is power, regardless! I'm sure you have more knowledge of this, being a nurse and all. Can you post the symptoms for me???

Let me know if you want the studies, maybe it can shed some light on how much you should use, how often, or when. And yes, you CAN get it at target. it's the same thing as online.

Hope this helps! I don't know all that much, but I have studied this :) Best Luck!!

(edited for clarity and many typos!)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't have any useful info, but thought I would mention that they don't even test for GBS here. It seems that monitoring the baby carefully is most important.

And newsolarmomma, awesome pedi!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.