Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking on teh website:

http://www.singaporemath.com

and i find listed for Kindy:

Quote:
Earlybird Math Standards Ed
Essential Math
Supplementary Math
Manipulatives
Teacher Resource
I am kinda confused.

I think that the EB Math STANDARDS -- are the text for the "level"

I get that SUPPLEMENATRY -- is supposed tobe additions reinforcement?? I think

But what is Essential Math?

I don't see how they are all supposed to fit together to "cover" the "kindty level"

if that question makes any sense??

How do other momma use Singapour math?

and does anyone use the readers? I assume the teacher's giuid tells you when to look for each story? or not.

thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,739 Posts
We found that the kindy level stuff had all been thoroughly mastered by our kids by KG age just through life. There didn't seem to be anything to "cover." We just slipped into Singapore Primary Math 3rd / US Edition a year or two later at whatever level was appropriate.

Sorry I'm not much help, other than to reassure you that you probably don't have to obsess over covering everything in the kindy level, because it tends to be picked up naturally.

Miranda
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
We found that the kindy level stuff had all been thoroughly mastered by our kids by KG age just through life. There didn't seem to be anything to "cover." We just slipped into Singapore Primary Math 3rd / US Edition a year or two later at whatever level was appropriate.

Sorry I'm not much help, other than to reassure you that you probably don't have to obsess over covering everything in the kindy level, because it tends to be picked up naturally.

Miranda
I was actually thinking of useing the kindy level as a PK4/5 for us -- most almost as a testing or check list .. not so much teaching but to diminstart mastery once i think he has gotten something down in his head an i want to show how it works on paper.

I think he already has a lot of it down -- head wise, not fine motor control and 'workbook" wise -- yk? so I was thinking of useing this fall before kindy actually ..,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
We used EB. There is Book A and Book B. Book A material is mainly PreK type stuff and Book B is more K type stuff. There is a textbook and activity book for both A and B. You don't need a Teacher's Resource Manual since the textbook has "development ideas" at the bottom of each page.

Now, the activity books are mainly cut and paste stuff. I bought both the textbook and activity books for both A and B because my dd likes cut and paste. If I had to do it over again, I'd just buy the textbooks since she didn't need the extra practice.

I used stuff around the house for manuplatives except I bought a pan balance. My dd doesn't really use manuplatives so I was lucky!

I also didn't buy the storybooks. I think they are just books that kind of go along with the theme of the lesson.

Essential math - I don't know anything about. Except, on another forum, I heard it's a bit more "meaty" than EB. If I knew that, I would have gone with that instead of EB.

HTH!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

Sorry I'm not much help, other than to reassure you that you probably don't have to obsess over covering everything in the kindy level, because it tends to be picked up naturally.

Miranda
I totally agree with this but I used it because I have a workbook lover.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
I am using EB because I have a workbook lover too. I ordered the workbook only. I skipped the textbook and any manipulatives at this level can be made/found at home. I really like the workbook because there is cut/paste as well and my dd loves that.

Amy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is the Essenle math a more condensed version??

so there is a text, and activity and a teacher's guide?

the Text is non-consumable then, and the activity book is the "work book"

??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I am looking on teh website:

http://www.singaporemath.com

and i find listed for Kindy:

I am kinda confused.

I think that the EB Math STANDARDS -- are the text for the "level"

I get that SUPPLEMENATRY -- is supposed tobe additions reinforcement?? I think

But what is Essential Math?

I don't see how they are all supposed to fit together to "cover" the "kindty level"

if that question makes any sense??

How do other momma use Singapour math?

and does anyone use the readers? I assume the teacher's giuid tells you when to look for each story? or not.

thanks

my 'mathy' 5 year old son whizzed through Earlybird A and B, then MUS Primer, then expressed outright disgust over A Beka K math, so we started him in Essential Math K today (Singapore) and he loves it! (I was trying to hold off on having him enter 1A/B too early)

I didn't buy their manipulatives because we have others, and I don't have the teacher's manual, but except for a couple of exercises, it's not needed. Now for 1A/B (which we use with my 7 year old) I did buy the Home Instructor's Guide, and it's invaluable! I haven't looked into Supplementary math.

Earlybird A has a very preschool feel to it, and could be used with 4 year olds. B builds on what they learn in A, obviously, very gently. It's a good program, but if you need to dig in, adding EM or SM is probably suggested.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
Earlybird A has a very preschool feel to it, and could be used with 4 year olds. B builds on what they learn in A, obviously, very gently. It's a good program, but if you need to dig in, adding EM or SM is probably suggested.
I supplemented EB with Critical Thinking Company's Mathematical Reasoning Level A simply because there was nothing really new in EB for dd. So I wanted something with new concepts.

We are moving onto Horizons K Book 1 with Rod & Staff 1 as supplement on March 1st. Then to Singapore 1A with Horizons K Book 2 in the fall.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
i bought EB A and B...my 4 yr old is working his way thru A right now with no problem...he did already know his numbers and how to write them before we started though. i bought the textbook only....it's all that we need, because everything is pretty self explanatory, and there is teachers notes on each page. it IS consumable......it's not an actual textbook (not the kind you are probably thinking of)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebekah View Post
i bought EB A and B...my 4 yr old is working his way thru A right now with no problem...he did already know his numbers and how to write them before we started though. i bought the textbook only....it's all that we need, because everything is pretty self explanatory, and there is teachers notes on each page. it IS consumable......it's not an actual textbook (not the kind you are probably thinking of)
ok then what is the differnce in the text book and the activity book ??

is the activity book just "extra pratice"?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
ok then what is the differnce in the text book and the activity book ??

is the activity book just "extra pratice"?
The activity book is extra practice imo. It's full of cut and paste activities.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone.



I don't know what i would do without this place and all the wise mommas
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
I have never used the Standards books, but have seen them. We have a homeschool store here that carries them. I just use the Early Bird Series, US Edition. If you use the Standards books, just use the workbooks alone and don't worry about the other materials.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top