Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got Carter to use it and he nursed the whole time on both sides. He took it 2-3 ounces of formula, which is about what he takes in after he nurses. My question is, do I have to pump too? He nursed for 15 min on both sides with good sucking action. I think he's been getting frustrated at how little milk I'm able to give him, because as soon as he realized there was milk available he nursed in my arms no problem. It's a little cumbersome because of the tubes and he's so grabby, but I think it will do the trick. I was just wondering if I can stop pumping during those times he nurses using the SNS. My nipples are getting so sore from the pump and it would be great to just pump at night and first thing in the morning. However, I don't want to compromise any stash building posibilities. But if he's emptying both breasts and nursing on each one for 15 min, then that should be enough. Right?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
IMO, ideally anytime you supplement (with bottle, SNS, dropper, whatever) you should pump while you are tyring to build your supply. In practice, well, that might not be something you can manage. How long are you pumping at each session and how long (days, weeks) have you been pumping? I am wondering if there's anything you could do to pump with less soreness. My breasts really toughened up after a few months of pumping.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would agree to try to pump anytime you supplement. However, if you need a break don't beat yourself up, just skip the pump and use it next time. As long as you are pumping plenty of times a day, you should be ok.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would third the suggestion to pump after you nurse, if you are using the SNS. Although, you might compromise and not pump as long, for that session, because he is on the breast.<br><br>
Do what you can, you're doing great! What are you producing now? How often are you pumping, and for how long?<br><br><br>
Bec

1 - 4 of 4 Posts