Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the posters in this forum might know the answer to my question.

I'm taking a class on human anatomy and physiology. We're on the reproductive system right now, which I do know quite a bit about, but something is stumping me.

The scrotum hangs outside the body to keep things cooler, as we all know. My book says that sperm will die at 98.6 degrees, so having the testicles inside the body would not work.

If sperm die at that temperature, then how do they survive the vagina and the womb? I thought sperm could live for several days in the womb while they hunt for the egg?

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
I've never really thought about it, but I would suspect that mature sperm are ok at body temp, but as they are maturing they aren't (doesn't it take like 70 days of something for them to mature, it's been a while since I've taken a&p). or maybe the reason is that it needs to be cooler than body temp for the cells to divide? not that it will kill them, but that it just won't happen if it's too hot?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. The book just says that sperm will die at a higher temp. Maybe it's worded poorly, and it should say that sperm production can't occur at a higher temp.

It also says that the foreskin is the part of the penis that's cut off during a circumcision. It's a really in-depth book, overall....but that's all it says about the foreskin. Kind of irksome.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Not all sperm will die right away at 98.6F, but it is not a friendly temperature for them. They can live a few days, but they couldn't withstand the amount of time that it takes to get produced and stay stored before being ejected and still be viable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.