Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a feeling these are just "worry-wart" questions, so I haven't wanted to call my OB and ask.  So I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any insight or advice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am 10 days post-partum.  I tore a little in two places, my OB said she just used a running stitch so I don't know how many I have to judge how bad it was.  Two days after I got home I got a really bad cold, which has now died down to sniffles and a cough.  I have been coughing for a few days now though, and it is extremely painful where my stitches are.  I noticed in the bathroom today that some pieces of stitches came out, and I'm not sure if it's normal dissolving or if I could have possibly busted them coughing.  I am definitely more uncomfortable now than I was when I first got home, I'm taking ibuprofen and using witch hazel pads but it's pretty painful.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, is 10 days too soon for stitches to be dissolving?  Is it common to be more sensitive as they start to dissolve then I was when I first got them?  Also, what on earth can I take for this cough while breast feeding, it's driving me crazy!</p>

·
Registered
846 Posts
<p>I never noticed when stitches dissolved. I think you should talk to your OB. It could be something s/he ought to know and it is <em>not</em> a dumb question to ask.</p>

·
Registered
738 Posts
<p>the stitches definitely could be dissolving by now but if it's hurting worse I'd want to have it seen.  do you have a sitz bath?  warm soaks for your perineum are really soothing and you can do that in a shallow bath or pick up a sitz bath from the drug store.  if you have a place to buy herbs you can make a comfrey tea to put in the bath to soak in - soothing and very, very healing.  raw honey, plain or in a cup of warm water/tea is great for coughs, robitussin or mucinex is also fine with breastfeeding.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts