Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure my dipes have build-up, but I'm going to strip them just in case. I'm confused...Should I use Calgon and vinegar, or is it better to use sports wash? I called the water company and they said our water (N California) is more to the soft side. I have no idea what this means, but they told me it's between 4.1 and 4.4. So, should I not use Calgon then?<br>
My dipes aren't as soft as they used to be, but they're not all that crunchy either and I've been using them for almost 2 months. I've read a bunch of the other threads, and I'm confused about which I should use. DS has really sensitive skin, if that matters.<br>
So, what should I do? TIA!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
First I would call your local water treatment plant or water co. They should be able to tell you if your water is hard or soft. I think that would be good to know to select the best method for your water.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Calgon is pretty expensive and strong smelling, just keep that in mind. If you find out you have hard water (don't you live near me? I don't think our water is very hard in Broomfield, but I have a softener, too) then using Calgon on a semi regular basis would be a good idea. But if you just need to do a very occasional strip, maybe consider getting some RLR Laundry treatment at Walmart in the laundry section. Comes in a package with 2 balls. A long hot soak will really help strip mineral and detergent build up.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Woops! Don't know why I thought you were in CO.<br>
If you have soft water, it is possible you are using too much detergent and some of it is staying on the dipes, making them kinda chalky-rough. If that's the case, for your regular routine, reduce your degergent to 1/4 C. in the hot wash. Use vinegar in the first rinse and then do a second rinse with nothing to remove vinegar residue.<br>
For a one time strip, since you have soft water, you shouldn't really need to add water softener such as Calgon all the time. Try the RLR Laundry Treatment (one ball for a load). Use HOT HOT water and let it soak a good long while, then do a rinse and check for suds. If you see lots of suds in the rinse, add some vinegar and do another rinse after that (checking during that rinse, too). You should see a significant difference after doing this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts