Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave birth 17 days ago at home and had a minor perineal tear. It could have used 1 or 2 stitches, but I didn't want them and my midwives agreed that it might just heal together on it's own. Well, I don't think it is healing together. It's healing all right, but I don't think it's staying together. I'm cool with that, but what are the implications of having a permanent notch in my perineum? I had a minor peri-urethral tear with my first baby, but that just meant that I have a lip seperated, which is completely cosmetic. Any thoughts/info?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm not Pam, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents out there anyway, because it's the internet and I can.

:

If it was only in need of a stitch or two to begin with, it probably is just skin, and there shouldn't be any major implications, just cosmetic. However, if after it is healed, it is uncomfortable during sex, you can try to have it repaired, either by a midwife or a doc.

Lori

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
when you do a kegel does the tissue come together or pull apart? if it comes together it is just skin if it pulls apart the muscle has been torn and you would probably be better off with a repair.
also agree with pp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts