Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious though about Just a Little Prick. What qualifications does she have to write that book? I'm not being snarky, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
What do you mean by "qualifications"?

Are you asking if she is a doctor or nurse?

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthira
Not necessarily... there are other forms of qualifications.
Very true. Good...I like you

So many times when vacs are brought up, the people I know in real life dismiss ANY info that comes from someone who is not a doctor. It drives me

I do not know what her qualifications are. I have yet to read the book. She has offered me wonderful advice and info though.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Perhaps you could PM her directly to ask? I don't know about you but I feel uncomfortable discussing someone behind their back. Yeahyeah it's a cyber world it still strikes me as odd.
:

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Her qualifications are that she's a mother who came up against a medical wall and refused to cave to it. She's a thinking person who has spent so much of her adult life researching this stuff, it boggles my mind. She's intelligent and shrewd and questioning and discerning - if only we could find doctors with that much dedication!

Maybe you should actually READ the book, and you'd better understand.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
A lifetime of experience and research.....Frankly, higher qualifications than many doctors would have. If you read the book, you will appreciate just how extensive, thorough, and researched her knowledge of vaccines, disease, and the medical system is.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Quote:

I'm curious though about Just a Little Prick. What qualifications does she have to write that book? I'm not being snarky, I'm just curious.

Your question doesn't even make sense to me.

Are you under the impression JALP is a book of medical advice or something?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:

Not necessarily... there are other forms of qualifications.
Can you clarify what you consider to be "qualifications?"

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyMommy
Perhaps you could PM her directly to ask? I don't know about you but I feel uncomfortable discussing someone behind their back. Yeahyeah it's a cyber world it still strikes me as odd.
:
Some people may not even be aware that she is here if they heard only of the book.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with discussing her in regards to the book she wrote. It would be the same if we had a discussion about the book itself and how she came up with the material.

It is nothing personal. It would just be mamas trying to educate themselves on a very heated topic.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Does one need to have some type of qualification to write a book?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee
Some people may not even be aware that she is here if they heard only of the book.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with discussing her in regards to the book she wrote. It would be the same if we had a discussion about the book itself and how she came up with the material.

It is nothing personal. It would just be mamas trying to educate themselves on a very heated topic.

I disagree. If a person spends any time at all on this forum they will run across a number of threads/mentions of MT and her book.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I disagree. The question sounds like she's aware that the author is a member of the MDC community. If this was a book she'd picked up at Barnes & Noble, then YES by all means, let's have a book & author discussion. But, the author is an active member here & should be included in the discussion.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
I disagree. If a person spends any time at all on this forum they will run across a number of threads/mentions of MT and her book.
Ok...what if they do not spend alot of time in this forum?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:

I disagree. The question sounds like she's aware that the author is a member of the MDC community. If this was a book she'd picked up at Barnes & Noble, then YES by all means, let's have a book & author discussion. But, the author is an active member here & should be included in the discussion.
I agree.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

I honestly do not see what the big deal is. When you write a book, you put yourself out there.

I do not see why MT would even be offended.

Vaxes are a very serious issue that parents need to be very careful when considering. I do not blame a mother for asking about her qualifications as that may directly influence her take of the book.....therefore assisting her in deciding too/not too vax.

I think that her question is being taken too person. It is a valid question.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The authors qualifications are too long to list. She is a dedicated researcher who had intended at one point on going to medical school. She has helped MANY, was asked to coauthor a book with Dr. Robert Mendhelson (sp is wonky), has more knowledge of the immune system that some immunoligists I know. She is well established and well respected by those in the non vaxing community.
There is a lot more but I feel a little like I am gushing as it is.
I highly respect MT and feel like a better person from learning a thousandth of what she knows

ETA: sorry of any mistakes were made in this nak and can't verify anything

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know she's a mother here, but I was unaware as to who she is on this board, though I had guessed. As I said before, I'm not trying to "talk behind anyone's back" or be snarky. It's an expensive book for us, and understand some have said it's basically free except shipping, so I will rephrase: the shipping is expensive for us. If there're even any copies left.

Also, I will be sharing this book and quoting from it, and I would like to hear others responses to the same question I will be asked: why I choose to not vax my children (I'm a new convert to the non-vax scene) and how can so many doctors be wrong yet a person who wrote a book could be right if she has no med degree, etc.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

I know she's a mother here, but I was unaware as to who she is on this board, though I had guessed. As I said before, I'm not trying to "talk behind anyone's back" or be snarky. It's an expensive book for us, and understand some have said it's basically free except shipping, so I will rephrase: the shipping is expensive for us. If there're even any copies left.
I see you are in the Bay Area. If you come down this way, you can borrow my copy

1 - 20 of 108 Posts