Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just called and said she had a mc.
She was 11w and thinks it just happened within the last couple of days, based on how she felt.

Her doctor told her that she had to have a D&C (which she had today, the day she found out) under general anesthesia. I have heard on this board that many mamas prefer to have the mc naturally but I was wondering how late that can be done. I already felt like this friends OB was quite interventionist and I was wondering (for future reference*, I would never question my friend directly about her choices) whether what this doctor said was true - that at 11w, there was no way to pass the baby naturally.

(*I am a doula and am often asked about different OBs and feel like I want to be as informed as possible about this provider.)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I experienced a real delivery of a missed m/c at 16 weeks. I was told that a d&c would NOT be a good option due to the size of the baby at the time. My midwife gave me the choice, which I appreciated greatly.

I have heard of many women, at a wide range of dates delivering/mc-ing themselves...so I suspect that barring septic issues for the health of the woman, there is no real 'deadline'.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
When we found out I had mc my ob gave me a choice of either passing it naturally or having a D&C. I had been spotting and lightly cramping for 4 days and needed it to be over. I called him back the next day. I also had 3 boys at home and didnt want them to see me go through alot of pain. It was the right choice for me and it gave me closure.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Usually its done for continuous hemorrhaging where moms in danger of bleeding out or iron level is getting below 7-8, really severe pain, retained products of conception (I hate that term!). I really varies, some Dr's will do them easily, some, like mine don't like doing them unless your showing signs of infection. I've gone though hell this m/c and wanted the D&C but couldn't get one
I've heard of many Dr's who will do one immediately when there sure the pregnancy is not viable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.